Veteran and U.S. flag

Back to main page | Benefits | Forms | Resources | Stipend rates | W.A.V.E.

Educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty in response to a contingency operation declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who’s eligible for chapter 1607. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits.

Members of the Selective Reserve may be eligible for Chapter 1607 after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty for a contingency operation. The Chapter 1607 benefit pays a percentage of the chapter 30 three-year or more rate based on the number of continuous service days on active duty: 90 days but less than 1 year pays 40%, 1 year but less than 2 years pays 60%, and 2 years pays 80% payment of the three-year rate.


  • 36 months of benefits under chapter 1607.
  • Limited to 48 months of combined benefits under multiple educational assistance programs administered by Veterans' Administration.
  • Delimiting date: 10 years after separation from the Selected Reserve under other than dishonorable conditions. No specific delimiting date as long as active membership in the Selected Reserve is maintained.


  • Monthly stipend
    • Payment is made to the student at the end of each month.
      • Payment is usually sent via direct deposit based on the information you provided to the VA with your application.
      • Check your monthly payment rate.
      • Effective August 1, 2011, break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during future enrollment periods.
    • Advance pay will provide pay for the first two months.
      • Advance pay is sent in the form of a check to the school about 30 days before the start of the term.
      • To be eligible for advance pay you must not be eligible for break pay. (Most students at SOU are only eligible for Advance Pay for Fall term.)
      • You must still verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E. at the end of each month.
      • Keep in mind that since the first two months were paid in advance you will not see another stipend until after the conclusion of the third month.
    • If you do not receive your stipend check the following:
      • Did you complete your Certification Request? It usually takes the VA around 30 days to process certifications. If you submitted your request during the first week of the term it is likely to delay your first payment. We recommend submitting your request as soon as you register for classes.
      • Did you verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E.? The VA will not submit your payment to the Department of Treasury until you verify that your enrollment for the month. The earliest you may verify enrollment for the month is the last day of the month.
      • Call the Enrollment Services Center to ensure that your certification was completed and that we were not waiting for anything from you to complete your request. (Common delays include: needing to apply for graduation, needing a course substitution form, needing to declare major or minor.)
      • Check with the VA (1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551) to ensure your direct deposit and address information is current.
  • Licensing or certification test
    • One time payment not to exceed the lesser of cost of test or $2,000.
    • Entitlement will be charged.
    • The test must be approved for VA benefits; more information on how to obtain benefits for tests.
  • Tuition assistance
    • You must be currently active (not separated) in order to receive this benefit.
    • All Regular Active and Reserve Soldiers, members of the Active Guard Reserve and Reserve Component Soldiers who are activated under U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32 (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) will request tuition assistance through GoArmyEd (subject to qualifying criteria).
    • National Guard Soldiers in drilling status do not access tuition assistance through GoArmyEd. Instead tuition assistance is obtained through the National Guard.
    • Tuition Assistance is handled through the Educational Officer in your Unit. Since specific rules depend on the type of Tuition Assistance it is best to refer all questions to your Unit's Educational Officer.
    • Arrangements for payment of tuition are made with Marilyn Hoeckle in the Business Office.
  • Voyager Tuition Waiver
    • Awarded through Financial Aid of OUS institutions.
    • Eligibility requirements:
      • Guard and Reservists must have been called to active duty since September 11, 2001 and stationed in an area of combat.
      • Receiving Oregon resident tuition rate.
      • Be a full-time fully admitted student seeking initial undergraduate degree.
      • Receiving $4,500 in tuition assistance from the National Guard program.
      • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
      • Completed the FAFSA.


Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Change of Place of Training or Program: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you have already been approved to receive VA benefits and you wish to change schools.
  • Also students who change programs and current course work will not apply to the new program need to complete this form.
  • This form does not need to be submitted to the VA but can be kept on file at the school.

Enrollment Notification

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at SOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at SOU

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Certification Request

  • Please submit this form to the Veterans' Clerk every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Verify Enrollment: W.A.V.E.

  • Every month you must verify your enrollment with the VA. You will not receive your pay until you verify your enrollment.
  • You may verify on-line or over the phone at 1-877-823-2378.

Direct Deposit: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you wish to request a change to your direct deposit information.
  • This form is not necessary for a new applicant as it is included in the application.

Additional resources for chapter 1607 recipients

Chapter 1607 REAP factsheet (MS-Word)
Chapter 1607 REAP Frequently Asked Questions
Chapter 1607 REAP pamphlet (Adobe PDF)
Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA)
Reintegration Program
Troops to Teachers
Tuition Assistance - GoArmyEd
Tuition Assistance - National Guard

Enrollment Services
Campus Public Safety
 (541) 552-6258 (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
 (541) 552-6911 (Evenings and Weekends)
University Housing
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd
Ashland, OR 97520
 (541) 552-7672
Campus Map
Follow Us
SOU facebook  Follow us on Instagram  Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to us on YouTube