Veteran and U.S. flag

Back to main page | Benefits | Forms | Resources | Stipend rates | W.A.V.E. | History of G.I. Bill Video

Category I:

Includes veterans who began active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985. Category IB includes three years obligated service. Category IC includes 2 years active duty and 4 years in the Selected Reserve. Category IA includes two yers obligated service.

Category II:

Includes military retirees who entered the service (or agreed to delayed entry) before 1/1/77 and who were eligible to receive chapter 34 benefits (Vietnam era education program) on 12/31/89. The education benefit for these chapter 34/30 veterans is higher than the standard chapter 30 benefit and it pays an additional amount for dependents. The chapter 34/30 benefit is comparable to the old chapter 34 rate.

Category III:

Veterans who were voluntarily or involuntarily separated from the service because of a reduction in personnel may be eligible.

Category IV:

Consists of Veterans who were able to convert their education benefit from chapter 32 to chapter 30.


  • Generally 36 months of benefits under chapter 30. Extends to the end of the term if the benefit expires during the term.
  • Limited to 48 months of combined benefits under multiple educational assistance programs administered by Veterans' Administration.
  • Delimiting date: 10 years after discharge. May extend for later period of active duty or disability that prevents completion of program. Call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) for more information regarding extensions.


  • Monthly stipend
    • Payment is made to the student at the end of each month.
      • Payment is usually sent via direct deposit based on the information you provided to the VA with your application.
      • Check your monthly payment rate.
      • Effective August 1, 2011, break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during future enrollment periods.
    • Advance pay will provide pay for the first two months.
      • Advance pay is sent in the form of a check to the school about 30 days before the start of the term.
      • To be eligible for advance pay you must not be eligible for break pay. (Most students at WOU are only eligible for Advance Pay for Fall term.)
      • You must still verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E. at the end of each month.
      • Keep in mind that since the first two months were paid in advance you will not see another stipend until after the conclusion of the third month.
    • If you do not receive your stipend check the following:
      • Did you complete your Certification Request? It usually takes the VA around 30 days to process certifications. If you submitted your request during the first week of the term it is likely to delay your first payment. We recommend submitting your request as soon as you register for classes.
      • Did you verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E.? The VA will not submit your payment to the Department of Treasury until you verify that your enrollment for the month. The earliest you may verify enrollment for the month is the last day of the month.
      • Call the Enrollment Services Center to ensure that your certification was completed and that we were not waiting for anything from you to complete your request. (Common delays include: needing to apply for graduation, needing a course substitution form, needing to declare major or minor.)
      • Check with the VA (1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551) to ensure your direct deposit and address information is current.
  • Kickers and additional contributions
    • Higher monthly benefits are paid to chapter 30 participants with “kickers” and to chapter 30 participants who make additional chapter 30 payments. Veterans may have a kicker, additional contributions, or both. The higher benefit rates are paid automatically when benefits are paid. If veterans don’t receive the benefit they believe they are entitled to receive, they should call VA about the discrepancy at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) so that VA can resolve the discrepancy with the Department of Defense.
    • A kicker is part of the enlistment contract. It’s often referred to by its Madison Avenue name; Army College Fund, Navy Sea College Fund, or whatever the newest recruitment ad calls it. If a contract has a $12,000 kicker, for example, then the monthly kicker is $333.33 ($12,000 / 36 months), which is paid with the regular monthly payment.
    • Servicepersons who participate in chapter 30 pay $1,200 towards their chapter 30 benefit. The $1,200 is withheld from their pay during their first 12 months of service and it’s non-refundable (except in some cases when transferring to chapter 33). Starting 11/1/00, servicepersons may pay up to $600 more towards chapter 30. The amount they pay is matched 9 to 1.
  • Tutorial assistance
    • $100 per month maximum not to exceed $1,200 in total.
    • No entitlement charge for the first $600.
  • Licensing or certification test
    • One time payment not to exceed the lesser of cost of test or $2,000.
    • Entitlement will be charged.
    • The test must be approved for VA benefits; more information on how to obtain benefits for tests.
  • Transfer of entitlement
    • Department of Defense (DoD) determines eligibility.
    • If you are approved to transfer your entitlement this would be included in the signing of the contract for your current enlistment.
  • Tuition assistance Top Up
    • This program uses chapter 30 entitlement in order to pay tuition for courses that are not fully covered by tuition assistance.
    • VA cannot pay Top-up if Tuition Assistance is zero.
    • If you are recieving chapter 30 benefits you may not recieve Top Up at the same time.
    • This benefit is set up between the student and the VA, so you will not need to have the courses approved by the school's Certifying Official.
    • More information regarding Top Up and Top Up FAQ.


Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Change of Place of Training or Program: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you have already been approved to receive VA benefits and you wish to change schools.
  • Also students who change programs and current course work will not apply to the new program need to complete this form.
  • This form does not need to be submitted to the VA but can be kept on file at the school.

Enrollment Notification

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at SOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at SOU

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Certification Request

  • Please submit this form to the Enrollment Services Center every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Verify Enrollment: W.A.V.E.

  • Every month you must verify your enrollment with the VA. You will not receive your pay until you verify your enrollment.
  • You may varify on-line or over the phone at 1-877-823-2378.

Direct Deposit: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you wish to request a change to your direct deposit information.
  • This form is not necessary for a new applicant as it is included in the application.

Additional resources for Chapter 30 recipients

Chapter 30 factsheet (MS-Word)
Chapter 30 general information
Chapter 30 pamphlet (Adobe PDF)
Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA)
Reintegration Program
Simple Facts about the G.I. Bill (Adobe PDF)
Transcripts - AARTS
Transcripts - SMART
Troops to Teachers
Top Up FAQ
Top Up Q&A

Enrollment Services
Campus Public Safety
 (541) 552-6258 (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
 (541) 552-6911 (Evenings and Weekends)
University Housing
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd
Ashland, OR 97520
 (541) 552-7672
Campus Map
Follow Us
SOU facebook  Follow us on Instagram  Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to us on YouTube