Veteran and U.S. flag

Back to main page | Benefits | OUS Tuition waiver | Forms | Resources | Stipend rates

Educational assistance paid to dependents of Veterans. Persons who may be eligible are:

  • A child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions) of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
  • The surviving spouse of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability, or died in service, or died while evaluated as having total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability. Surviving spouses whose benefits stopped when they remarried can receive DEA benefits again if their remarriage ends by death or divorce, or they cease to live with the person to whom they presented themselves in public as married.
  • A spouse of a veteran or serviceperson who has a total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
  • The spouce or child of a service member who is hospialized or reciving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.


  • 45 months of benefits. No extensions except for a child in special restorative training. Claimant must call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to be considered for an extension.
  • Once started entitlement must be used within:
    • 8 years for a child
    • 10 years for a spouse
    • 20 years for a spouse if qualifying Veteran died while on active duty.


  • Monthly stipend
    • Payment is made to the student at the end of each month.
      • Payment is sent via check based on the address you provided to the VA with your application.
      • Check your monthly payment rate.
      • Effective August 1, 2011, break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during future enrollment periods.
    • Advance pay will provide pay for the first two months.
      • Advance pay is sent in the form of a check to the school about 30 days before the start of the term.
      • To be eligible for advance pay you must not be eligible for break pay. (Most students at SOU are only eligible for Advance Pay for Fall term.)
      • Keep in mind that since the first two months were paid in advance you will not see another stipend until after the conclusion of the third month.
    • If you do not receive your stipend check the following:
      • Did you complete your Certification Request? It usually takes the VA around 30 days to process certifications. If you submitted your request during the first week of the term it is likely to delay your first payment. We recommend submitting your request as soon as you register for classes.
      • Call the Veterans' Clerk to ensure that your certification was completed and that we were not waiting for anything from you to complete your request. (Common delays include: needing to apply for graduation, needing a course substitution form, needing to declare major or minor.)
      • Check with the VA (1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551) to ensure your address information is current.
  • Tutorial assistance
    • $100 per month maximum not to exceed $1,200 in total.
    • No entitlement charge.
  • Licensing or certification test
    • One time payment not to exceed the lesser of cost of test or $2,000.
    • Entitlement will be charged.
    • The test must be approved for VA benefits; more information on how to obtain benefits for tests.
  • OUS tuition waiver
    • This is an additional benefit offered by the Oregon University System institutions that is a full tuition waiver for those who meet the additional requirements:
      • Eligible for chapter 35 benefits.
      • Fully admitted into the university.
      • Oregon resident for tuition purposes.
      • Enrolled in a first baccalaureate program or a first master's degree program (post baccalaureate programs or multiple graduate programs are not eligible).
      • Children of the veteran must be age 23 or younger at the time of the application unless the child is applying for a master's program waiver within 12 months of receiving a baccalaureate degree and the child received the waiver during the baccalaureate program.
      • The waiver may not exceed the total number of credit hours the qualified student needs to graduate with a baccalaureate degree or a master's degree. Transfer credit hours may count toward the total credit hours needed for degree completion.
    • Some courses that may be excluded from this tuition remission include:
      • certificate programs
      • distance education classes
      • self-supported classes
      • post-baccalaureate courses or degrees
      • additional undergraduate degrees (duel degree and double major programs may exceed the allotted amount authorized by the waiver).
    • More information and application for the OUS tuition waiver.
    • When submitting this waiver be sure to include your verification for chapter 35 elibibility from the VA.
      • This can be obtained from the VA
        VA Regional Processing office
        PO Box 8888
        Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
        1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551


Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Change of Place of Training or Program: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you have already been approved to receive VA benefits and you wish to change schools.
  • Also students who change programs and current course work will not apply to the new program need to complete this form.
  • This form does not need to be submitted to the VA but can be kept on file at the school.

OUS Tuition Waiver Eligibility: Adobe PDF.

  • This is an additional benefit offered by the OUS institutions that is a full tuition waiver for those who meet the additional requirements listed above.
  • Submit your verification for chapter 35 eligibility from the VA along with this form to the Veterans' Representative.

Enrollment Notification

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at SOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at SOU: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Certification Request

  • Please submit this form to the Enrollment Services Center every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Additional resources for chapter 35 recipients

Chapter 35 factsheet (MS-Word)
Chapter 35 general information
Chapter 35 pamphlet (Adobe PDF)
OUS tuition waiver eligibility

Enrollment Services
Campus Public Safety
 (541) 552-6258 (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
 (541) 552-6911 (Evenings and Weekends)
University Housing
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd
Ashland, OR 97520
 (541) 552-7672
Campus Map
Follow Us
SOU facebook  Follow us on Instagram  Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to us on YouTube