Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Office: SC 267
B.A. Chemistry (2004) Willamette University
Ph.D., Chemistry, Emphasis in Analytical Chemistry (2010) University of California, Davis.
Teaching Assistant (2004-2007) Univeristy of California, Davis
Head Teaching Assistant (2007-2010) University of California, Davis
Assistant Professor of Chemistry (2010-2016) Columbia College, Columbia, MO
Associate Professor of Chemistry (2016-2021) Columbia College, Columbia, MO
Characterizing the occurrence and fates of anthropogenic environmental contaminants. Currently this is focused on the changes to the occurrence and distribution of metals and persistent organic pollutants in the Bear Creek watershed following the Almeda Fire and their impact on microbial communities.
Spectroscopic investigations of buried molecular assemblies focusing on the structure and phase behavior applications in molecular junctions and lipid membranes. Developed and validated an experimental apparatus for the simultaneous measurement of vibrational spectra and electronic measurements of molecular junctions between metal layers.
1. Christopher B. Babayco, Donald P. Land, Richard A. Kiehl, Atul N. Parikh “Characterization of Buried Metal-Molecule-Metal Junctions Using Fourier Transform Infrared Microspectroscopy”. Review of Scientific Instruments 85, 094103 (2014). DOI: 10.1063/1.4896477
2. Christopher B. Babayco, Pauline J. Chang, Donald P. Land, Richard A. Kiehl, Atul N. Parikh “Evolution of Conformational Order During Self-Assembly of Alkanethiols on Hg Droplets: An Infrared Spectro-microscopy Study”. Langmuir, 29(26), 8203 (2013). DOI: 10.1021/la4014366
3. Christopher B. Babayco, Sennur Turgut, Andreia Michelle Smith, Babak Sanii, Donald Land, Atul Parikh “A comparison of lateral diffusion in supported lipid monolayers and bilayers”, Soft Matter, 6, 5877 (2010). DOI: 10.1039/C0SM00643B
4. Kevin M. Dean, Christopher B. Babayco, Daniel R.B. Sluss, J. Charles Williamson “The Accuracy of Liquid-Liquid Phase Transition Temperatures from Semiautomated Light Scattering Measurements”. Journal of Chemical Physics, 133, 074506, (2010).
Katie Espen*, Kent N. Strodtman, Christopher B. Babayco, Wastewater Flooding Induced Changes in the Soil Microbiome and Enzymatic Activity Within the Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area. Missouri Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting, April 2021.
Lindsey Hedges,* Christopher B. Babayco, Quantification of Widespread Cocaine Contamination Across One Dollar Bills in the Southern Midwest. Missouri Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting, April 2019.
Christopher B. Babayco, Cocaine Detection in Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area. Missouri Natural Resources Conference, February 2018.
Sylvanna H. Couch,* Christopher B. Babayco, Identification of Cocaine and Cocaine Metabolites in Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area. Missouri Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting, April 2017.
Michael Brown,* Jessica Mondy,* Christopher B. Babayco, Comparison of Extraction Methodologies for the Recovery of Gun Cleaning Oils for Forensic Analysis. Alpha Chi National Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, March 2015.
* Denotes an undergraduate student researcher