Over winter break, we'll be upgrading to Moodle version 3.3 as we move to our new host, eThink. Our move to eThink will allow us to include new applications that promise to make our academic lives just a bit easier.
All of our current courses will be downloaded from Moodlerooms and reestablished on eThink's servers. During this process, we'll be upgrading to Moodle 3.3 and setting up the new features that are highlighted in the Cool New Features in 3.3 book on the Moodle home page. Once we have the green light, we'll open Moodle up again at our same address (moodle.sou.edu) and we'll be off to the races for Winter term!
What does the migration mean for faculty?
- Your work will be saved—keep prepping Winter courses until we go offline.
- You won't have access to your current or Winter term courses while Moodle is offline (December 14-January 2).
- Your courses will all be transferred over to the new site—prior courses will come along with us to eThink.
- You can check out the new version and features in our eThink test site (see Try Out the New Version for details).
What should you do to prepare?
- Be sure to submit your Fall terms grades on time—you won’t be able to access student work in Moodle while we’re offline.
- Export a copy of your gradebook at the end of the term in case any questions arise.
- Spend some time in our test site to get familiar with version 3.3.
- Attend an orientation or drop-in session. See the session calendar and complete this sign-up form to register.
- Remind your students that Moodle will be offline (especially important if they have any unsubmitted work).
- Encourage your colleagues to check out the new features.