Honors cords will be distributed by the Enrollment Services Center (ESC) starting on May 11, 2020. Students will have until 4pm on Thursday, June 11, 2020 to pick up their honors cords at the ESC.
- One honors cord will be distributed at no charge to each student who has applied for graduation and qualifies for honors.
- In order to receive your honors cord, you must bring a photo ID with you and we will check your transcript to verify whether you have met the required GPA for each level of honors cord.
- When attending Commencement, the honors cord should be worn around the neck and over your gown.
The SOU Institutional GPA at the end of Winter term determines eligibility for honors cords and recognition in the program:
Cum Laude: 3.50 to 3.74
Magna Cum Laude: 3.75 to 3.89
Summa Cum Laude: 3.90 to 4.00
- Only one honors cord will be distributed to each student based on the level of honors.
- If the honors cord is lost by the student, it will not be replaced.
- You are responsible for keeping your honors cord and wearing it to Commencement.
- These honors are only applicable to undergraduate students seeking their first undergraduate degree. Masters and Post-Baccalaureate students are not eligible for these honors, including Post-Baccalaureate students seeking an undergraduate degree.
- If you are unable to pick up your cord in the ESC, you may designate someone else to pick up your cord on your behalf by providing written authorization to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to June 11. Mailing of honors cords is not permitted.
- No honors cords will be available for distribution at the ceremony.
If you have any questions about honors cord distribution, please email ESC@sou.edu.
Honors on Transcripts & Diploma
The Institutional GPA after final term of courses determines the final and official GPA to appear on transcripts and diploma.