How do I access my educational benefits? 

Follow the steps on our Start Here webpage. For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits page at:

How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?

New applicants should expect to receive your first check 6-8 weeks from the time your enrollment certification is sent. You will be paid retroactively from the first day of class. Continuing students should receive checks more quickly, provided there have not been any changes to your program or changes. It is imperative that you email us at about any changes that would affect your benefits.

Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?

Yes! It is a common misconception that students receiving educational benefits are not eligible for financial aid. This is simply not true. You are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Remember, though, that VA benefits are a form of financial aid and will be included in the calculation of your total financial aid package.   

How do I get college credit for my military training?

Southern Oregon University may award college credit for educational experience obtained in the military. Credit may be awarded to admitted SOU students, based on the recommendation of the American Council on Education (ACE). To be considered for college credit, we require an official military education transcript be sent directly to the SOU Office of Admissions.

What happens to my benefits as a result of being called back to active duty for deployment?

In most cases, your benefits will continue upon your return. Please contact Veterans Specialist at Academic Support Programs 541-552-7102 or email us at

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using our Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling our toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Paper verification forms (VA Form 22-8979) will no longer be issued for persons receiving Chapter 30 benefits.

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of the University. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. SOU notifies the VA within thirty days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress. Typically a student only has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing, but a sudden, dramatic drop in GPA may cause academic probation.

Do I have to attend full-time to receive my educational benefits?

No, but the amount of benefits you receive is directly proportional to the number of credits you take. VA benefits are paid according to this chart:


Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Graduate
Full time 12 credits 9 credits
3/4 time 9-11 credits 7-8 credits
1/2 time 6-8 credits 5-6 credits
Less than 1/2 4-5 credits 3-4 credits
Less than 1/4 1-3 credits 1-2 credits