Transfer Students



Finding Online Classes

Being a Student

Video Tutorials

Transfer Student Information

How does a transfer from a community college work?

SOU accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.  Credits earned at community colleges and junior colleges are always transferred a the lower division level.  Many community colleges offer transfer degrees in the form of an AA, AAOT, AS, etc.  The best way to learn about transferability is to check out our transfer website.  Upon acceptance to SOU, your transcripts will be officially evaluated and transferability of classes will be determined.  If you’d like to get an idea beforehand, contact the advisor, David Parker, for an unofficial evaluation and education plan. 

How many credits could I transfer? 

Credits from a community college are limited to 124 quarter credit hours.

Does SOU have four terms a year or three? 

SOU operates on a quarter system with each quarter lasting about 11 weeks and 4 quarters in the year (fall, winter, spring, summer).

Can I be enrolled at a community college and the University at the same time?

Yes, many of our students are co-enrolled at a community college and SOU.  If you are on financial aid and we have a consortium agreement with the other college, you must have at least 50% of your credits at your “home” institution.  If we have a consortium agreement, you can have your credits from both institutions count toward your financial aid status (full-time vs. part-time).    

 How do I know what classes will transfer?   

 To view the list of classes that can be taken at a community college and will transfer to SOU to meet our general education requirements, go to the transfer student web page.  You can pull up a guide that list all the courses, or you can look up one course at a time.



How much does it cost?

The tuition schedule can be found at the here. If you are taking online classes, you can plan on paying $212.00 per undergraduate credit or $848.00 per 4-credit class.   (Most of your classes will be 4 credits each.)

When should I apply for financial aid?

You should apply for financial aid as soon as you can after Jan. 1 in the year prior to your planned attendance.  The Southern Oregon Scholarship Application is also due early in the year (end of February or beginning of March).  You end up apply about 8-9 months in advance of your attendance.  The financial aid website is:

When is my tuition payment due?

To not accrue additional fees, pay in full by the beginning of the term. Tuition is due upon registration for classes and no later than the end of the first week.

How do I pay?

Students are encouraged to pay all charges in full at the beginning of the term to avoid late fees or penalties. OR……

Use the SOU Revolving Charge Account Plan (RCA). The RCA is a monthly, pay-as-you-go method. If you don't pay in full by the due date, SOU automatically activates the RCA. It is not a credit card, although the terms and conditions are similar:

  • Instead of paying in full at the onset of the term, students may pay a third of tuition by the first Friday of the term. The remainder of the account balance must be paid by the first day of the last month of the term: December 1 for fall, March 1 for winter, and June 1 for spring.
  • If you miss the first payment, you will receive a $25 late fee.
  • You will be charged a RCA fee of $15.
  • Pay a 9% per annum interest on the unpaid balance.

More information on Student Payments may be found at the Business Services website at: Payment Policies

Which community colleges does SOU have consortium agreements with?

We have agreements with several colleges, which allows you to be co-enrolled and have your financial aid cover your full load.  For more information, go to the financial aid website.



How do I apply for admission?

Applying to SOU is very easy.  You can use our Application Checklist for Transfer Applicants for direct links to our admissions and financial aid applications.  To go straight to the admission application, go to:  The application fee is $60.

 After you apply for admission, make sure you have ALL college transcripts sent to SOU at 1250 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland, OR 97520.  SOU needs official transcripts for every college, university, and community college you have attended.

I only want to go half-time on-line, how would that work? 

Sure, you can go half time or full time - whatever works for you.  It’s a good idea to meet with the advisor periodically to adjust your education plan as needed.  It’s also  good idea to start out slow with maybe only two classes a term if you are working full-time.  If you find you can handle work and school just fine, you can increase your class load to three or four classes per term. 

What classes are required to be admitted to the School of Business? (Video Tutorial - 15:05 min.)

There are two types of admission:  one to the University and one to the Department (School of Business).  Once you’ve met all the prerequisites for the department, your advisor will handle your admission to the School of Business.  Once admitted to your major department, you can register for most upper division (300- or 400-level) courses without an instructor’s or advisor’s approval. 


Finding Online Classes

How do I search the schedule for online classes? (Video Tutorial - 4:25 min.)

Go to:

Click on Advanced Search.  Under Delivery Method, select Online.  Make sure the term you want is selected.  Pay attention to footnotes in case there are any face-to-face meetings or special prerequisites you should know about.

What if I can’t find the classes I need?

If you are searching for lower division level online classes (100- or 200-level), many of the community colleges offer a good selection online.  You can search for online classes at any of the community colleges by going to:

If you are searching for upper division level classes, look at the tentative two-year schedule posted on the Business Degree Completion website.  If you are searching for upper division level Integration courses (Strand H, I, or J), use the Advanced Search feature in the schedule, and use the drop down menu under University Studies.

If you still can’t find what you need, contact your advisor for help.

 What are UD University Studies classes? (Video Tutorial - 4:25 min.)
The Upper Division University Studies classes refer to the University Studies Integration Strands.  There are three classes:  Strand H (Science), Strand I (Citizenship), and Strand J (Diversity).  There are specific classes that qualify to meet this requirement.  You can find them in the schedule by using the Advanced Search tool and select the appropriate category under the "Univerisity Studies" drop-down menu.  You can also get a full listing at University Studies Eligible Courses

  Being a Student

What is the MySOU web portal? (Video Tutorial - 4:47 min.)

MySOU is the place you go to do everything:  register for classes, pay tuition, check grades, add or drop classes, etc.   To get there, go to  It’s a good idea to click on the "MySOU Quick Tips" link under the "Help Center".  This will give you an overview of the new portal and may answer any questions that you might have.

How do I Activate my Network Account?

Go to and click on the "Students" link under "How do I know my user name?" in the Account Help section.  Fill out the form and submit.  The system will generate a user name for you and will prompt you for a new password.  Your password must be at least 6 characters with at least one character being numeric.

How do I login to MySOU?

After obtaining your account name and setting a new password (see "How to activate your Network Account" above), go to and use the "Secure Access Login" section to enter your user name and password. New users should go to the "My Account" quick access icon to set their security question to enable the "Forgot your Password?" feature on the MySOU login page.

How do I start my class?

Go to  Click on Moodle.  If your instructor has set up a class in Moodle and has made it available to the class, you should see it when you go into Moodle.  Just because you may have a class listed in your Moodle, that doesn’t mean you are registered for the class.  If you drop a class, it may not automatically get dropped from Moodle. 

What do I do if I can't log onto Moodle or use my Email?

It is very important that you are able to access Moodle and your email account prior to the start of the term. If you have ANY questions or difficulties with Moodle, your email account, or - please contact the student help desk at 541.552.6969.  If the portal isn't working for some reason, you can usually access Moodle at:

How do I order my textbooks? (Video Tutorial - 2:07 min.)

You may order your books online at To begin the process, click the “Textbook” tab at the top, right of the screen. You should order your books well in advance of the start of the term to ensure that you receive them before the term starts. Distance Learning students will pay shipping and handling but not the $5.00 charge for ordering online.

How and when do I apply for graduation? (Video Tutorial - 4:54 min.)

Students should apply for graduation when they are in their third term from being done.  The application may be found at:  Apply to Graduate  For more information about the process, please watch the video tutorial above.