These pages describe the types of distance courses offered at SOU, how to find the schedule and fees for online courses, degrees and programs offered online, and how to contact the coordinator for each program.
The term distance education is used to describe formal learning activities that occur when the student and instructor are separated by time and geographic location. While we offer three types of distance education courses at SOU, the majority are either fully or partially online. The three types are:
- Online — In a fully online course, all instruction occurs over the Internet. You can take the course from the convenience of your home, office, etc., 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You access course content and resources, participate in discussions, submit assignments, and interact with the instructor and your classmates through an application called Moodle.
Note: Although an online course offers flexibility, each course has a start and end date, and each assignment has a specific deadline. Also, some courses may require a few online meetings on specific dates and times. Your instructor will provide advance notice of dates and times when such meetings are required.
- Hybrid — A hybrid course is a combination of online course work and on-site (or two-way video) meetings. Some hybrid courses meet every other week while others meet only at the beginning and end of the term. When you register for a hybrid course, you will be informed of the specific meeting dates so you can plan accordingly.
- Two-Way Video — A few courses are delivered using interactive video. These courses meet on a regular day/time using two-way video transmission. SOU presently transmits to sites in Medford, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, Roseburg, and Coos Bay.
Courses offered online vary each quarter. To identify online courses:
- Search the SOU Class Schedule.
- Use the Delivery Method filter to limit your search to courses delivered online.
- Be sure to consult the Footnote column for additional information about a course such as special requirements, meeting dates, or other important details.
- Keep in mind that courses and fees are subject to change.