Inspiring a student body that is environmentally, socially, and economically responsible through educational programming, collaborative partnerships, and innovative initiatives
ECOS works to achieve this mission through our four program goals:
- Educate for Sustainability and Social Justice!
- Advocate for Adoption of Sustainable Institutional and Individual Practices!
- Develop Student Leadership Potential!
- Inspire Active Citizenship!
These four goals are met through the following student-led initiatives and programs:
- ECOS Resource Center, a collaborative office and community space for sustainability and service at SOU
- ECOS Community Garden, where students and community members can rent low-cost plots to practice organic gardening; located adjacent to parking Lot 36 on the corner of Henry St. and South Mountain Ave
- Transportation Options Program , a partnership with Rogue Valley Transportation District to encourage the SOU community to drive less
- SOU Bike Program, a collaboration with the SOU Outdoor Program that advocates for a bicycle-friendly campus and offers quality, affordable bikes to rent to SOU students.
- Civic Engagement Program , offering service and volunteer opportunities to engage SOU students in the community;
- Raider Alternative Breaks, providing student-led multi-day immersive service learning trips to inspire active citizenship
- Events and campaigns to educate and activate the SOU community around sustainability and social justice
Stop by the ECOS Resource Center in the bottom floor of Stevenson Union, room 105 (open during the fall-winter-spring academic quarters).
You can also email Jill Smedstad, SOU's Environmental and Community Engagement Coordinator, with specific questions or concerns.