The mission of ECOS is to inspire a student body that is environmentally, socially, and economically responsible through educational programming, collaborative partnerships, and innovative initiatives
ECOS works to achieve this mission through our goals and programs
- Educate for Sustainability and Social Justice!
- Advocate for Adoption of Sustainable Institutional and Individual Practices!
- Develop Student Leadership Potential!
- Inspire Active Citizenship!
ECOS Student-Led Initiatives
- ECOS Resource Center- a collaborative office and community space for sustainability and service at SOU.
- Real Food Challenge SOU - Helping to shift SOU's food toward more fair, ecologically sound, humane, and local. SOU is committing to achieve 20% "real food" by 2023! Check out the Real Food Challenge website for more information on this national project.
- ECOS Community Garden - where students and community members can rent low-cost plots to practice organic gardening; located adjacent to parking Lot 36 on the corner of Henry St. and South Mountain Ave. Email email@example.com with questions. To find out more and sign-up for our new gardener interest list, please visit our on-line sign-up form at www.tinyurl.com/ecosgarden.
- Transportation Options in partnership with Rogue Valley Transportation District, we encourage the SOU community to drive less. Visit the Transportation Options page!
- Social sustainablity and service - we engage the SOU community in service and events advocating for more just and equitable food and housing systems
- ECOS Dish Loan Program, a FREE alternative for SOU clubs, organizations, and departments to borrow plates, bowls, cups, mugs and utensils for their events. Visit the Dish Loan site to learn more
- Earth Week, Zero Waste Week, and more events and celebrations!
Connect with ECOS!
Stop by the ECOS Resource Center in the bottom floor of Stevenson Union, room 105 (open during the fall-winter-spring academic quarters)!
You can also email Jill Smedstad, SOU's Environmental and Community Engagement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions or concerns.