Oregon Department of Education (ODE) 2014 adopted English Language Learner (ELL) Standards for ESOL/Bilingual Endorsements:
1. Language - Candidates know, understand, and use the major concepts, theories, and research related to the nature and acquisition of language to construct learning environments that support English Language Learners (ELL) and bilingual students' language and literacy development and content area achievement.
2. Culture - Candidates know and understand the major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of the culture and cultural groups to construct learning environments that support ELL students' cultural identities, language and literacy development, and content area achievement.
3. Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction - Candidates know and understand the use of standards-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ELD and content instruction, including classroom organization, teaching strategies for developing and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources.
4. Assessment - Candidates understand issues of assessment and use standards-based assessment measures with ELL and bilingual learners of all ages.
5. Professionalism - Candidates demonstrate knowledge of the history of ELD teaching. Candidates keep current with the new instructional techniques, research results, advances in the ELD field, and public policy issues. Candidates use such information to reflect upon and improve their instructional practices. Candidates provide support and advocate for ELL and bilingual students and their families and work collaboratively to improve the learning environment.
6. Technology - Candidates use information technology to enhance learning and to enhance personal and professional productivity.