Teachers holding a dual endorsement in general and special education are among the highest sought after educators. Whether your intention is to remain in a general education position or pursue a special education position, having the skills provided through the SOU Special Education Added Endorsement Program will increase your professional competency and employability. The SOU Special Education Added Endorsement Program is a semi-cohort model. We encourage candidates to enter the program during the summer term and complete the program in either a one or two-year cycle. Candidates may do additional course work for the Masters in Education degree. Endorsement courses are delivered in hybrid, online and face-to-face meetings. Hybrid courses meet four times during the term on Friday evenings, Saturday mornings, and Saturday afternoons during the fall and winter terms. Contact the Program Coordinator for specific meeting dates.
This 36-credit endorsement can be either the elementary or secondary level; the contiguous level may be added after completing the initial program.
- Candidates can complete the program in one or two years.
- Summer and spring courses are offered online, fall and winter courses are hybrid (four weekend face-to-face sessions each term, in addition to online course work).
- Endorsement can be completed while teaching in either a special education or general education setting. Those in a general education setting must receive district approval.
- Endorsement can be incorporated into the Masters of Education program.
- Students must to apply to the School of Education Masters of Education Program and Southern Oregon University Graduate School.
- Students who have graduated from SOU's Masters of Arts in Teaching or are currently registered in a graduate program will not need to reapply to the SOU Graduate School.
- All applicants must complete a written essay. Click here to download essay articles and writing prompts.
- SPED/MEd Program of Study
- Added Endorsement Handbook
For program questions and information contact the program coordinator – Dr. Megan Farnsworth (541-552-8390, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mail the completed Special Education Endorsement Program application to: