How to apply:
Applications to the Masters Degree Program in Environmental Education are considered two times annually: January 16 and April 17.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The degree need not be in the sciences or education, provided the other requirements for admission are met.
- Official GRE scores; SOU code R4702. Scores about the 50th percentile or better are desired.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Three letters of recommendation including at least one from a professor who can testify to academic potential.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in last 90 quarter hours (or equivalent) of study. Students with lower GPAs may be considered, but cannot be admitted directly to the program. Students may apply for post-baccalaureate status and enroll in a total of 12 graduate credits pre-approved by the Coordinator of the Environmental Education Program. Upon receiving a grade of “B” or better in each course, students may apply for change of status leading to full admission into the program. Note: admission to take graduate course work at SOU as a post-baccalaureate student does not constitute admission to the Master’s Degree Program. A maximum of 12 post-baccalaureate credits may be applied to the graduate program.
- Completed Environmental Education essay. Write a one to two page statement of purpose explaining why you have decided to pursue the Environmental Education Program at Southern Oregon University. Your statement should include information on your background in this field or related fields, as well as any short or long-term career goals you have related to obtaining this degree.
- 18 quarter hours (12 semester hours) of natural history course work. A year of introductory biology and 2-3 additional courses in natural history or ecology is preferred. Non-traditional preparation may be considered by the EE Admissions Committee. If asking for a portion of the required pre-requisite course work to be waived, a statement should accompany the application outlining the experiences that the applicant wishes the Committee to consider. The intent is to assure the Committee that the applicant is prepared to succeed in graduate-level courses in biology.
- TOEFL (foreign students only) minimum score requirement for each test is as follows: IBT - 76, CBT - 207, and PBT - 540. English language competency.
Transfer of Credits
A maximum of 15 hours of graduate course work (at SOU or other institutions) completed prior to full admission to a SOU Masters Degree Program may be transferred into the program with the permission of the Program Director.