Southern Oregon University is required by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, to disclose certain information to enrolled students, prospective students, parents, employees, and others.  This information may also be disclosed in other ways by the University (email, mailings, publications, websites, etc.), but is also provided here for convenience. Information for SOU is provided below, including a listing of the disclosure, a brief description, applicable website addresses, and contact information for the university official (or department) who can respond to questions or information requests in their specific areas.  Employees of the University are available with reasonable notice to assist enrolled and prospective students in obtaining consumer information on a full-time basis throughout normal working hours. The University can provide a paper copy of any of the information on the listed websites upon request.

General Institutional Information

Privacy of Student Records - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

  • The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford eligible students certain rights with respect to their educational records.  SOU is required to annually notify students of their FERPA rights. More information about these rights is available on the website of the Office of the Registrar. The full text of SOU’s Student Records Policy - Rights and Responsibilities is available on the Student Affairs Policies website. For further question please contact Dr. Matt Stillman at

Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities

  • The Disability Resource Center is here to ensure equal access for students with disabilities to all of SOU’s classes and programs.  They provide academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities and information and resources for all segments of SOU. For information about resources and services available to students with disabilities please contact the Disability Resource Center at 541-552-6213 or

Student Body Diversity

  • Information about student body diversity, including the percentage of enrolled, full-time students in the following categories: male; female; Federal Pell Grant recipients; and self-identified members of a major racial or ethnic group is available by visiting the Office of Institutional Research website.  For further questions please contact the Office of Institutional Research at

Cost of Attendance

  • The Cost of Attendance are estimated costs of being a Full-Time Undergraduate or Graduate student at SOU.  The Financial Aid Office publishes estimated costs of tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses.  Actual expenses can vary depending on a number of factors, including but not limited to: number of credits being taken, degree program, housing arrangements, residency, and lifestyle choices.  For actual tuition and fee charges please visit the Raider Student Services website or they can be contacted at 541-552-6600 or If you have further questions concerning cost of attendance please contact the Financial Aid Office at

Net Price Calculator

  • Net Price is the amount that a student pays to attend an institution in a single academic year AFTER subtracting scholarships and grants the student receives.  A Net Price Calculator is available on the Office of Admissions website, under the Calculating Costs section on their website, and it allows prospective students to enter information about themselves to find out what students like them paid to attend the institution, after taking grants and scholarships into account.  Net price results from the calculator are estimates and are not final or binding and may change. Please note a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for federal student aid funds.  For questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at

Refund Policy

  • To be eligible for a refund, you must withdraw during the refund period as noted in the academic calendar. Your withdrawal date is the date you drop your class or classes or the date the Raider Student Services receives your official notification via email; you are liable for tuition for the class or classes until that date. Any monetary credit to your account that results from your withdrawal is calculated from the date of receipt of the withdrawal, not from the date you stopped attending class or classes. More information about the University's refund policy, including the refund schedule, can be found on this website.  For further questions please contact the Raider Student Services at 541-552-6600 or  

Requirements for Withdrawal

  • Students wishing to drop all of their classes from the University should initiate the request through the InsideSOU portal.  For questions about the process please contact the Raider Student Services at 541-552-6600. Note: this may have an impact on your financial aid (see next bullet point).

Return of Federal Financial Aid

  • If you withdraw from the University and have received financial aid, funds may need to be returned to the appropriate financial aid programs, possibly creating a bill on your student billing account.  Financial aid is "earned" for each day that a student participates in class. You may be expected to repay the "unearned" portion of your financial aid if you withdraw from school or receive non-passing grades in your classes.  Since non-passing grades do not confirm participation, the Financial Aid Office will verify with the professor that a student participated in the course. More information about Return of Federal Financial Aid can be found on this website.  For questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at

Textbook Information

  • Students can find various information concerning required textbooks including retail price for their courses on the website of SOU Bookstore.  Students can also find information on textbook rentals and selling back their books. For further assistance please contact the Bookstore at 541-552-6178.

Academic Programs

Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreements

  • The determination of the transferability of courses occurs within the Registration and Records Office. The Articulation and Coordinator determines appropriate levels and equivalencies for courses from fully-accredited post-secondary institutions. For some institutions, a full articulation agreement exists; i.e., a comprehensive collection of an entire course catalog is articulated, and equivalencies can be viewed on the Registrar’s Transfer Credit Equivalencies website. Course transfer will be determined upon receipt of an official transcript for a student who has submitted an application for admission.  SOU participates in a dual enrollment program in which students can take courses at two schools at once. Articulation Agreements can be found on Admission website.  For more information on Dual Enrollment please contact Financial Aid at or for transfer credit equivalencies please contact the Transfer Articulation Specialist at   

Accreditation of Institution

  • The Southern Oregon University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).  Accreditation of an institution of higher education by the NWCCU indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality evaluated through a peer review process. An accredited college or university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.  For obtaining or reviewing documents describing institutional accreditation of Southern Oregon University please visit this website or email

Copyright Infringement - Policies and Sanctions (Including Computer Use and File Sharing)

  • Sharing files without the permission of the copyright owner puts you at risk of a criminal and/or civil lawsuit.  If you are found to have violated Federal copyright law, you may be liable for damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement can be proven, then damages can go as high as $150,000 for each work infringed.  For more information see the "Copyright Infringement and Remedies" documents maintained by the U.S. Copyright Office.  Unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material also violates the university's Acceptable Use of Computer Resources Policy.  Violation of these policies will be reported to the appropriate area for possible disciplinary action. An individual's access to computer resources may be suspended immediately upon the discovery of a possible violation of these policies. Penalties may be imposed under one or more of the following: Southern Oregon University regulations, Oregon law, or the laws of the United States. Questions regarding unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, may be answered by SOU Information Technology at 541-552-6900 or


  • Southern Oregon University is committed to resolving all student concerns in a timely and effective manner. To that end, resources at Southern Oregon University are available to current and prospective students for the resolving of complaints. While the University encourages students to work through internal university processes for resolution of their concerns, students may also file external complaints with certain agencies.  For more detailed information on filing an external complaint against SOU please visit Student Support and Intervention. Questions about this policy can be addressed by Student Support and Intervention at 541-552-6223 or

Prohibited Discrimination and Harassment

  • Southern Oregon University affirms its commitment to promote the goals of fairness and equity in all aspects of the educational enterprise. All policies are subject to resolution using the SOU Equity Grievance Process. The Equity Grievance Process is applicable regardless of the status of the parties involved, who may be members or non-members of the campus community, students, student organizations, faculty, administrators or staff.  Students and employees who feel they have encountered any form of discrimination or harassment may inquire with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion at 541-552-6459 for information on their rights, options, and resources.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

  • The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.  This program is administered by Federal Student Aid and additional information can be found on this website.  SOU is a qualifying employer for the program.  For more information call Federal Student Aid at 800-433-3243 or your federal loan servicer.

Gainful Employment

  • In order for a non-degree (i.e. certificate), stand-alone program to be eligible for federal financial aid, among other things, the non-degree program must prepare students in that program for gainful employment in a specific recognized occupation.  Southern Oregon University has 10 non-degree stand-alone programs currently eligible for federal financial aid and accepting new students. The programs include Accounting, Applied Finance and Economics, Business Information Systems, Cultural Resource Management, Interactive Marketing and E-Commerce, Management of Human Resources, Nonprofit Management, Regional Studies and Applied Research, Sustainability Leadership, and Wine Business Certificate. Certain information about these programs are disclosed to prospective students. Such information includes: the occupations the program prepares students to enter; program length; on-time graduation rate; tuition and fees charged for completing the program within the normal time; typical costs for books and supplies; job placement rate; median loan debt incurred by students completing the program. Disclosures for these programs are listed on the website for each certificate.  For further information about these programs please contact the department directly.

Constitution Day

  • Each educational institution that receives Federal funds for a fiscal year shall hold an educational program on the United States Constitution on September 17 of such year for the students served by the educational institution, commemorating the September 17, 1787 signing of the Constitution.  If September 17 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, Constitution Day shall be held during the preceding or following week. SOU fulfills this requirement annually by distributing copies of the Constitution on campus.

*Note: SOU does not place students or guarantee job placement upon program completion or graduation; and SOU does not publish placement rates as a means of recruiting students.  Visit the Career Connections website for more information about their services.  The Office of Career Connections can also be contacted at 541-552-6131 or

Teacher Preparation Program Report

Each year the School of Education provides a report to the state of Oregon and the U.S. Department of Education in relation to preparing teachers for initial state certification or licensure.  The report includes: goals, assurances, pass rates and scaled scores, program information, among other information. The Title II Oregon report is available on this website.  For further information or to request a copy of the college's report please contact the School of Education.

Student Financial Assistance

Student Financial Aid Information

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

  • A federal or state drug conviction (but not a local or municipal conviction) can disqualify a student for FSA funds. Convictions only count against a student for aid eligibility purposes (FAFSA question 23c) if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period, unless the student was denied federal benefits for drug trafficking by a federal or state judge.  Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when she was a juvenile, unless she was tried as an adult. The University will notify each student who becomes ineligible for federal aid due to a drug conviction. Enrolled students are notified annually by Campus Public Safety that they may lose financial aid as a consequence of drug conviction. For more information please visit the Federal Student Aid website and if you are unsure whether you should be ineligible for financial aid based on drug conviction please refer to the Drug Eligibility Worksheet. Additional questions can be answered by the Financial Aid Office at

Disbursement for Books and Supplies

  • SOU disburses Financial Aid up to 5 days prior to the term begin date. Beginning Fall 2020, Financial Aid will begin disbursing at the census date of the term. If the Financial Aid is more than the student account balance, a credit will be sent to the student in the form of a refund to their SOU OneCard or the student bank account depending on their refund preference. This refund can be used for books and supplies. The SOU bookstore also allows students that are currently enrolled in at least 6 SOU credit hours and have a student account balance in good standing (a balance of less than $1,500 in charges from a previous term) to charge their textbooks and supplies for the term. For questions please regarding charging books and supplies to the bookstore contact 541-552-6178. For questions regarding disbursements and/or refund preference selections contact the Raider Student Services at 541-552-6600 or

BankMobile SOU OneCard

  • The SOU BankMobile Card is the official student ID card. All campus services expect you to carry the card for identification purposes. With the SOU OneCard students can choose the way their Financial Aid refunds are delivered. The two options available are Electronic Deposit to another bank account or electronic deposit to the BankMobile account through the SOU OneCard. More information about the SOU OneCard is available on the Raider Student Services website. Additional questions can be answered by calling Raider Student Services at 541-552-6600 or emailing

Credits Earned Through Study Abroad

  • Study Abroad approved for credit may be considered enrollment at Southern Oregon University for the purposes of financial aid.  Additional information can be provided by the International Programs Office Financial aid questions surrounding study abroad can be answered by contacting the Financial Aid Office at

Code of Conduct

Shopping Sheet

  • In carrying out the Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members set forth Executive Order 13607, SOU has implemented a personalized and standardized cost form in the “Shopping Sheet” format developed by the Department of Education.  This Shopping Sheet provides personalized award information to all admitted students, including service members, veterans, spouses, and other family members. It is provided electronically via a link on the student’s InsideSOU account under Financial Aid and is aid year specific. Since the Shopping Sheet is accessible to students on their InsideSOU account, we will not be mailing the form directly to students.  Additional information that fulfills the notification requirements in E.O. 13067 can be found on the Veterans Resource Center website and the Financial Aid Office website.

Student Loan Information (published by U.S. Department of Education)

  • State Grant Assistance

    • The state of Oregon offers grant assistance to students of Oregon.  For more information about availability of and eligibility for grant assistance please visit the website of the Office of Student Access and Completion or by contacting the Financial Aid Office at  For students from states other than Oregon, please contact your home state's appropriate office to determine if they award state grants for students attending college outside of their home state.
  • Aggregate Loan Borrowing

    • The University will submit student and parent federal loan information to the Student Aid website.  This information will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system. You can find a detailed history of your federal loans on this site. For questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at
  • Initial/Entrance Loan Counseling for Student Borrowers

    • Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is completed online at While these must be completed prior to SOU disbursing applicable loan funds to a first-time borrower, we have included a link to a guide about Direct Loan entrance counseling which includes comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower's responsibilities.  For questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at
  • Exit Counseling for Student Borrowers

    • Direct Loan Exit Counseling is completed online at Loan borrowers will be notified to complete exit counseling when a student nears graduation or if they drop below half-time enrollment.  We have included a link to a guide about Direct Loan exit counseling which includes comprehensive information required to be disclosed through exit counseling. For questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at
  • Private Education Loan Disclosures (Including Self-Certification Form)

  • Disputing a Federal Student Loan/Contacting the FSA Ombudsman

    • The Ombudsman’s office is a resource for borrowers to use when other approaches to resolving student loan problems have failed. Borrowers should first attempt to resolve complaints by contacting the school, company, agency, or office directly involved. If the borrower has made a reasonable effort to resolve the problem through normal processes and has not been successful, he or she should contact the FSA Ombudsman.
        • Office of the Ombudsman
        • U.S. Dept. of Education
        • 830 First St. NE
        • Mailstop #5144
        • Washington, DC 20202-5144
        • Phone: 202-377-3800
        • Toll-free: 1-877-557-2575
        • Fax: 202-275-0549

*Note: SOU does not participate in a Preferred Lender Arrangement

Health and Safety

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program

  • Each year SOU distributes in writing to each student and each employee information related to our drug and alcohol abuse prevention program.  Such information includes: standards of conduct; legal sanctions under state, local, and federal law; health risks; available counseling, treatment, rehabilitation, or re-entry programs; and a statement that the school will impose sanctions for violation of standards of conduct and a description of sanctions.  A biennial review of the program is also conducted. For additional information related to disclosures sent to students please contact Campus Public Safety (541) 552-6258.  For additional information related to disclosures sent to employees please contact Human Resources at 541-552-8553.

Vaccination Policies

  • According to Oregon law, every entering SOU student born on or after January 1, 1957 and taking at least 9 undergraduate or graduate credits must show proof of immunity to rubeola (hard measles). If a student fails to satisfy these requirements, they will not be able to register for the following term.  For further information please contact the Student Health and Wellness Center at 541-552-6136.

Campus Security Policies, Crime Statistics, and Crime Log

  • By October 1 each year the University distributes a notice of the security report to all current students and employees.  The University also notifies prospective students and employees about the report's availability. The report includes a number of items, including but not limited to: crime statistics; policies for reporting criminal actions or other emergencies; policies concerning security of and access to campus facilities; enforcement authority and jurisdiction; programs designed to prevent crimes; information concerning registered sex offenders; policies concerning possession, use, or sale of alcohol beverages and illegal drugs along with enforcement of laws; among numerous other items.  Some of the additional information includes: timely warnings and emergency notifications; a crime log (which is open for public inspection); emergency response and evacuation procedures; missing person notification policy; programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking; institutional disciplinary action in cases of alleged dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking; and information for crime victims about disciplinary proceedings. A copy of the report is available on the Campus Public Safety (CPS) website.  The Daily Crime Log of all criminal incidents and alleged criminal incidents that are reported to CPS can be found on their website.For further questions concerning the report please contact CPS at 541-552-6258.

Fire Safety Policies, Fire Statistics and Fire Log

  • The Fire Safety Report is combined with the annual security report (and distributed at the same time - see above) and includes fire statistics as well as information about the fires for the three most recent calendar years. Also included are numerous policies and procedures concerning fire safety as well as information about the University's fire log (which is open for public inspection).  A copy of the report is available on the CPS website For further questions concerning the report please contact CPS at 541-552-6258.

Privacy of Health Records

  • Personal health information is treated with respect and confidence. Records are kept in a locked secure area within the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC). The SHWC is obligated to operate under several rules that govern your information:  Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA), Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA), and state law governing medical and mental health records. Your information will be managed under the strictest of the laws. For more information contact the SHWC at 541-552-6136.

Student Outcomes

Retention Rate

  • Retention rate is the percentage of first-time, first-year undergraduate students who continue at that school the next year.  For example, a student who studies full-time in the fall quarter and keeps on studying in the program in the next fall quarter is counted in this rate.  The latest retention rate is published on this website.  For more information please contact

Graduation Rates (Student Right-to-Know Act)

  • Graduation rate is the percentage of first-time, first-year undergraduate students who complete their program within 150% of the published time for the program. For example, for a four-year degree program, entering students who complete within six years are counted as graduates.  The latest graduation rates and historical graduation rates are published on the SOU Institutional Research website.  For more information please contact or

Types of Graduate and Professional Education Programs in which Graduates of SOU Four-Year Degree Programs Enroll

  • For information about the types of graduate and professional education programs in which our graduates enroll please contact the Graduate Studies at 541-552-6113.

*Note: SOU does not place students or guarantee job placement upon program completion or graduation; and SOU does not publish placement rates as a means of recruiting students.  Visit the Career Connections website for more information about their services.  The Career Connections Office can also be contacted at 541-552-6131.  Additionally, SOU is not required to report a transfer-out rate to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS); however, certain transfer-out information is published on the College Navigator.  Transfer-out rate is the percentage of first-time, first-year undergraduate students who transfer to another college within 150% of the published time for the program. For example, a student who is in a four-year degree program is counted as a transfer if the student goes to another college within six years.

Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support Data (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act)

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) is intended to make prospective students aware of a school's commitment to providing equitable athletic opportunities for its men and women students.  SOU prepares this report annually and it contains participation rates, financial support, and other information on men's and women's intercollegiate athletic programs. The Athletic Department does several reports on this data.  For additional information. You can review a copy of the latest report submitted to the U.S. Department of Education's Equity in Athletics Data Analysis website or visit the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis website and search for Southern Oregon University for this information. For questions please contact the reporting official Sherritta Guzman at 541-552-6173.

Voter Registration

As part of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, Congress directed schools to make a good faith effort to distribute voter registration forms to its students.  Voter registration forms are available at the ASSOU office in Stevenson Union.  ASSOU can be contacted at  To register to vote, as an Oregon resident, you may obtain a voter registration form or register online at the Secretary of State’s website.  For you to be eligible to vote in an election, your voter registration must be complete at least 21 days before the election. If your home state is other than Oregon, you may use the national form available from the U.S. Election Assistance Commission or visit your home state's Secretary of State website.