Form 1098-T and your SOU account

The information reported on Form 1098-T refers to all activity that posted onto your SOU account in the calendar year indicated on the form. Note: calendar year activity will include all charges and payments for the winter, spring, summer and fall terms plus any amount charged at the end of the calendar year (i.e. in December) for the following winter term.

SOU reports the "Amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses" in Box 1. We are required to report information for "Adjustments made for a prior year" in Box 4 and "Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year" in Box 6.  If your Form 1098-T displays figures in Boxes 4 and/or 6, be sure to read the information about these boxes on the back of the Form 1098-T. Scholarships and grants are reported in box 5.

Southern Oregon University mails this form to all students no later than January 31st of the following calendar year.

Online access

You can view a representation of this form and get additional detail about your SOU account online starting on January 31:

  1. Log on to InsideSOU
  2. Click on the Student and Registration tools in the online service box
  3. In the billing account box, click on Tax Notification
  4. Enter the tax year
  5. Click the Submit button

If you have questions about the information provided on the Form 1098-T contact

  • Southern Oregon University
    Raider Student Services, Britt 230
    Phone 541-552-6598
    Fax 541-552-6614

Social Security Number

SOU is required to provide the IRS the name and social security number of all enrolled students who take a class for credit. If the social security number is incorrect, you will need to complete IRS Form W-9S and submit the form to Southern Oregon University, Raider Student Services Office, Britt 230, 1250 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland, OR 97520.

Tax advice

SOU cannot provide tax advice!

Be sure to read "Instructions for Student" on your hard-copy of Form 1098-T.

If you have tax-related questions:

  • contact your tax preparer
  • call the IRS (800-829-1040)
  • and/or consult IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Education."

IRS forms

If you decide to claim education tax credits, you will need IRS Form 8863.

If your social security number is incorrect on Form 1098-T, you need IRS Form W-9S.

   Back Business Services Student Accounts Home