Admission to the Honors College
Southern Oregon University
Deadline for New Freshman Applications for Fall 2022
February 1, 2022
Students who are in their senior year of high school or who have already graduated but have not yet progressed beyond their sophomore year of college are welcome to apply.
In addition to meeting the requirements for admission to SOU, students should also meet the following criteria in order to receive priority consideration for admission to the Honors College: G.P.A. of 3.5 or higher, strong academics demonstrated through high school transcript (e.g. several honors and/or AP couress), substantial record of service, leadership, and//or various forms of civic engagement beyond coursework.
Admissions decisions will be based on a holistic review of each student’s application. Students with a combination of strong academics, leadership experience, cocurricular activities and civic engagement are encouraged to apply. We are looking for students who are eager to challenge themselves, are intellectually curious, academically committed, have demonstrated leadership skills, and who have a strong commitment to service.
- SOU automatically considers all applicants for merit-based scholarships. The exact amount of each scholar's award varies depending on G.P.A., and residency. For more information, visit: First Year Merit Scholarships.
- Scholars in the Honors College receive Honors scholarships above and beyond their SOU merit scholarships. These awards also vary based on G.P.A., residency, and financial need.
- SOU merit awards combined with Honors awards to provide incoming scholars with four years of substantial funding. Individual packages vary.
- Individual funding packages will be offered along with admissions to the Honors College.
- Please apply to SOU for admission to Southern Oregon University first. Follow this link to apply for admission to SOU https://sou.edu/admissions/apply/
- Please complete the online application form for admission to the Honors College at SOU. Online Application Form Click Here
- Please submit two essays with your online application. These essays should exhibit logic and critical thought, and should not exceed 1,000 words each. Both essays should be free of grammatical and spelling errors, and have a clear thesis which is supported by examples and evidence. When completing the online application for admisison to the Honors College, applicants will have the choice of uploading their essays as a PDF, Word file, or pasting the essay text into a form field. The topics are repeated in the application form. Applicants should have their essays completed and saved in a separate document before beginning the form regardless of how they choose to upload their essays.
ESSAY ONE. Please respond to the following prompt: Who are you? Why do you want to be an Honors College Scholar at Southern Oregon University? What do you hope to gain from the experience, and what do you hope to contribute?
ESSAY TWO. Please respond to one of the following three prompts. Please feel free to include personal experiences and observations as evidence. If you also reference sources other than your own experience, please provide appropriate citations. Any style format is acceptable, including MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, or APA formats. Citations are required for any material used from external sources.
Essay Topic 1: How do you define leadership? What leadership roles have you taken on in your life? Were they successful? Why/why not? What did you learn?
Essay Topic 2: How do you define community? How have you served and/or contributed to your community or the communities of others? What did you learn about yourself and the community you served?
Essay Topic 3: Describe a time when you had a belief or idea challenged. Explain what your original understanding of the idea or belief was, how that idea was challenged, and how you responded. What did you learn?
4. Two letters of recommendation are required.
Letters of recommendation should contain the “SOU Honors College Letters of Recommendation Form" provided below along with the letter of recommendation. Letters of Recommendation Form Click Here
At least one letter of recommendation must be from a recent teacher, who can assess an applicant’s academic ability. The other letter may be from anyone not related to the applicant who knows the applicant well enough to attest to character, and the student’s civic engagement activities (volunteerism, community-based activities, athletics, arts events, etc.).
Please ask the letter writers to submit both directly to SOU Honors College either by mail or by email.
5. If you have not yet applied for admission to SOU, please do so. We will access your academic transcripts from your SOU application. Your application will not be considered complete until your application to SOU is complete, along with your high school transcripts.
6. Applicants must also fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) AND the Southern Online Scholarship Application (SOSA) (if eligible) in order to be eligible for Honors College tuition scholarships. Exceptions are made international students and others who are not eligible to apply for federal financial aid. See sou.edu/financial aid for more information.
Deadlines: The deadline for Fall 2021 applications is February 1, 2021
Acceptance to the Honors College at Southern Oregon University is extremely competitive and ranks among the top Honors Colleges in the National Collegiate Honors Council. Invitations will be extended to the top applicants for thirty-minute interviews with members of the Honors College Admissions Committee. A waitlist of qualified applicants will be developed out of those who were not chosen in the initial incoming cohort.
For more information:
Call 541-552-6400 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.