Before looking through our FAQs, it may be beneficial to browse through two very helpful documents that detail moving to SOU and the policies and procedures you will be expected to follow while living here.  You may find that the answers to your questions are in these documents: 


Do I have to live in a residence hall?

Living on campus at Southern Oregon University provides first year students with academic advantages as well as easing the transition to University life. Therefore, single freshman students who enroll at SOU within one year of high school graduation must live in the residence halls. Living on campus offers many advantages to our students: Convenience, Cost, and Community. For more on the benefits of living on campus, check out Advantages to Living on Campus.

What are my chances of getting the hall I want?

Here at SOU University Housing we use an exciting online program where you will pick your own room and roommates. The date and time on which you gain access to this online portal to hand pick your room is determined by the day and time you finish your housing application; finish your application sooner and you have a much better chance of getting into your preferred building.

What about requesting a single room or a specific roommate?

As it states above, the sooner you apply, the better chances there are that you can select a single room during your self selection timeslot.

If you would like to have a specific roommate, it's important that you and your roommate request and confirm each other on your housing application. The sooner your application is turned in, the more likely it is that you and your preferred roommate will be able to live together in the hall of your choosing. Please note you cannot have a confirmed roommate and select a single room!

How is the roommate selected? What if we don't get along?

On your housing portal and application, you have the ability to create a profile with information about you and who you would prefer as a roommate. You also have the option to fill out a questionnaire that will help prospective students find you. Finally, the portal allows you to search through others looking for a roommate; you can even message each other through the application!

Learning to live with a roommate can be quite an adjustment. We feel that learning to get along with a roommate and learning to embrace diversity while better defining yourself is an integral part of the on-campus experience. If, however, you feel you cannot live with a particular roommate, you may contact your Resident Assistant to discuss other options.

What can I do if I don't get my preferences?

We have waiting lists for both double and single rooms in all our halls. Throughout the year, we offer spaces to people as they become available.

Can I live in the residence halls for just a term?

Our residence hall contract is designed so that it lasts until the end of the school year in June.  For more information on how contracts work, please see below.

Note: Freshmen within one year of High School graduation are required to live on campus all year.

How do the contracts work?

The academic year contract is where you agree to live on campus for the entire year. It has no sign up charge but you are charged contractual breakage fees if you move out before the expiration of the contract/academic year. There are exceptions...if you graduate, withdraw from school, or meet other criteria established by the Housing Policy Committee, you may be exempt from paying penalties. Contact the University Housing Office or review your contract for more details.

Who can I talk to if I need help?

Your hall is staffed by resident assistants and headed by an area coordinator. All staff have been trained not only to deal with crisis situations, but are also there to provide support, information, and programming. The hall staff has been hired through a competitive selection process, and there is a staff member on duty from 8pm-6am every night to provide security, guidance, or a friend in which to talk. They are there to maintain safety and enforce policy.

What furnishings will I find in my room?

All student rooms are equipped with bed (extra long twin in Shasta, Greensprings, and Madrone; standard full in McLoughlin), a desk and chair, closet, bureau and a waste basket. The rooms also include cable TV service and wireless internet.

What should I bring?

Basically, anything you think you'll need in order to feel at home (please note there are restricted items that you cannot bring - please reference the Guide to Residence Life and Community Living for more information). Remember that you'll probably be sharing a room with another person, so try not to bring so much you'll both feel crowded. We highly recommend calling your roommate so you can coordinate what to bring. Please reference your U Live with University Housing email to see a list of items to bring and not to bring.

Will I be able to study in my hall?

Of course. All of our halls have study lounges with wireless internet access, and you can always study in your room. If you find that you cannot study because someone within your community is too loud, simply ask them to keep their volume down. Most will reciprocate knowing that they will need the favor returned someday. If they are uncooperative, you may always ask your hall staff to intervene. University Housing values creating an environment that is supportive of your academic success. Therefore, we do have quiet hours in each of our residence halls. They begin at 10pm on week nights and at 12am on weekends. Outside of these times however, courtesy hours are maintained within all of our communities. For more information regarding quiet hours, please reference our Guide to Residence Life & Community Living.

Are pets allowed in the halls?

Only fish kept in 10 gallon tanks or smaller.

Will the residence hall be open during breaks?

The residence halls are open both Thanksgiving and Spring Breaks. The Hawk does not maintain academic year hours during breaks and you may need to prepare your own meals or eat out during these breaks. For students needing housing during Winter Break, a conference hall will be open for residence hall students. Students needing housing over the Winter Break should contact the University Housing Office for more information.

Where do I eat?

Your student ID card is good at any of the eateries on campus. The Hawk, located in Raider Village, is an all you care to eat dining facility that boasts 8 different made-to-order stations such as custom salads, sandwiches, burgers, home-style menus, pasta, and more.

The Student Union offers a variety of eateries which includes Erbert's and Gerbert's Sandwich Shop, Bravo (Pizza and Calzones), Chilaca Mucho Burrito, Stack Burger, and Java Union.

How do the meal plans work?

A meal plan consists of weekly meals and raider cash.

Meals are used in the Hawk and allow students to eat all they care to eat per meal swipe. A meal plan will have from 10 meals per week to unlimited meals, depending on size. Allotted weekly meals DO NOT transfer over from one week to the next.

Raider Cash can be spent at any campus dining location as well as coffee shops on campus. Meal plans have from $100 to $700 per term, and more can be added throughout the term. Raider Cash transfers from Fall term to Winter term, and from Winter term to Spring term, but DO NOT transfer over academic years.

If you find that a meal plan is too small, you can increase its size at any time.

Decreasing your meal plan can only be done during the first 5 days of Fall term and only during Winter and Spring Break.

Freshman must select either the Red or Black Meal Plan. Residents of Madrone are the only ones who are eligible to purchase a Madrone meal plan.