This McNair Program Resource Portal is specifically designed to meet a variety of informational needs for people interested in learning more about: attending graduate school; securing funding for graduate education and/or for scientific research; and exploring educational and career pathways.
Use the tabs above to access the material in the Resource Portal which is arranged by general topic areas and contains useful information and links designed to:
- Facilitate academic success at the undergraduate level and to facilitate students’ preparation for graduate level education
- Provide easy access to selected databases and search engines for locating relevant graduate level educational programs
- Provide easy access to selected databases and search engines for locating relevant funding for advanced education and research
- Provide career information; including links to discipline-specific professional organizations, occupational outlooks, salary information, and career pathways
Useful Graduate School Web Links
- Peterson's Guide to Graduate Schools Graduate School information including links to school web sites.
- College Navigator Comprehensive on-line college locator.
- SOU Career Center Links to Graduate Schools, GRE Testing, and Study Abroad.
- Graduate Degree Search Tool UC has a graduate degree search tool which will allow you to search the 600+ graduate degree programs offered across UC’s ten campuses
- On-Line Ph.D. Programs A partial list of on-line Ph.D. Programs. Please note: On-line doctoral programs are also offered at some "brick and mortar" universities, and may be located through a search of institutions offering doctoral degrees in the desired discipline.
- Graduate schools that waive application fees for McNair Scholars A list containing over 200 graduate schools that waive application fees for McNair Scholars.
- Guide to Native American Studies Programs A document with links to Native American Studies Programs in the US and Canada
Graduate Programs Outside of the US
• Annotated Bibliography For McNair Scholars: How to Construct a Working Annotated Bibliography Record Sheet by Dr. Dee Southard, SOU McNair Program Director
• Cornell University Library, Research and Writing Guides Includes the Seven Steps of the Research Process, Critically Analyzing Information Sources, MLA and APA on-line Style Guides, and many other useful documents
Graduate School Support
• How to Get the Mentoring You Want: A Guide for Graduate Students A University of Michigan publication on mentoring
• APAGS - The American Psychological Association of Graduate Students
• AIGC - The American Indian Graduate Center.
• Graduate Training Programs in Industrial-Organizational Psychology A comprehensive listing of graduate programs in Industrial-Organization Psychology
• Resources for Graduate Students A comprehensive site with graduate student resource information from the University of Washington
• The Association of College Honor Societies ACHS, founded in 1925, is the nation's only certifying agency for college and university honor societies. ACHS sets standards for organizational excellence and for scholastic eligibility for the various categories of membership: general, specialized, leadership, freshman, and two-year honor societies.
• College.gov A site from the US Department of Education
What to Ask Graduate Schools
• Graduate School Questions A generalized list of questions to ask any graduate school
• Professional Organizations A List of Professional Organizations by Discipline, with links to their web sites.
• Relocation Calculator This website provides relocation and cost of living information
• Moving and Relocation Craigslist, a useful site for looking for housing and furnishings
• Career Builder An online job search, careers, and employment site
• Attending Professional Meetings Successfully - An overview of events at professional meetings and reasons for attendance.
• Internal Revenue Service Tax Information for Students
• Cash Course The National Endowment for Financial Education Financial Literacy Course
• Common Errors in English Usage An entertaining look at the most common English errors, and how to avoid them
• Copyrights and Plagiarism TRIO resources on copyrights, and avoiding plagiarism
• Math Review Websites Links to Mathematics Tools and Review Websites
• Guide to Native American Studies Programs A document with links to Native American Studies Programs in the US and Canada
• Online Dictionary of the Social Sciences An on-line dictionary of 900+ Social Science terms
• Online History of Ideas An on-line dictionary of the history of ideas
• National Science Digital Library The Nation's online library for education and research in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
- The National Academies of Science A list of websites that provide searching capabilities for fellowships and other sources of funding, or provide general fellowship information.
- Educational Funding Opportunities A list of funding opportunities maintained by Rutgers University
- GRAPES UCLA Graduate and Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES)
- Scholarship Database Links to a number of scholarship database search engines by category (maintained by SOU McNair Program)
- Canadian Resources Financing Graduate Study in Canada
- FinAid The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
- students.gov A comprehensive list of government programs and resources for students
Fellowships and Scholarships
- Fellowships A list of links to funding resources maintained by the SOU McNair Program
- International Fellowships A list of links to international funding resources maintained by the SOU McNair Program
- McNair Specific Funding Opportunities A list of links to institutions that offer McNair specific fellowships.
- National Academies of Science Fellowships and scholarships available from the National Academies of Science.
- National Academies of Science Fellowships, Scholarships and Grants Links to other funding sources
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships Three years of funding for students in the mathematical, physical, biological, engineering, and behavioral and social sciences, including the history of science and the philosophy of science, and to research-based Ph.D. degrees in science education.
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship
♦ Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering ♦ Biosciences ♦ Chemical Engineering ♦ Chemistry ♦ Civil Engineering ♦ Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences ♦ Computer and Computational Sciences ♦ Electrical Engineering ♦ Geosciences ♦ Materials Science and Engineering ♦ Mathematics ♦ Mechanical Engineering ♦ Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering ♦ Oceanography ♦ Physics
- EPA STAR Fellowships EPA Science To Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships For Graduate Environmental Study
- Harry S. Truman Scholarships Only students in their Junior year are eligible to apply. Each Scholarship provides up to $30,000 for graduate study. Scholars also receive priority admission and supplemental financial aid at some premier graduate institutions, leadership training, career and graduate school counseling, and special internship opportunities within the federal government. Recipients must be US citizens, have outstanding leadership potential and communication skills, be in the top quarter of their class, and be committed to careers in government or the not-for-profit sector.
- Soros Fellowships for New Americans Soros Fellowships are for New Americans: an individual who (1) is a resident alien; i.e., holds a Green Card, or, (2) has been naturalized as a U.S. citizen, or (3) is the child of two parents who are both naturalized citizens.)
- U.S. Department of Energy Students selected for fellowships (which can be renewed up to four years) agree to undertake study and research in computational science. The program of study must provide background in a scientific or engineering discipline, computer science, and applied mathematics. Disciplines include: biophysics, chemistry, biochemistry, civil engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, applied math, physics, bioengineering, aeronautical engineering, chemical engineering, bioinformatics, vision science, computational chemistry, and computational mechanics.
- U.S. Department of Defense The U.S. DoD National Defense Science and Engineering offers substantial fellowships for U.S. citizens studying in the natural sciences, earth sciences, computational sciences, and mathematics.
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program.
- NSF Specialized Information for Undergraduate Students Many Summer Internships
- NSF Specialized Information for Graduate Students Or those going to graduate school next year
- GovBenefits: GovBenefits.gov is a partnership of Federal agencies with a shared vision - to provide improved, personalized access to government assistance programs.
- NASA One Stop Shop Initiative (OSSI): NASA funding supports a variety of internships, fellowships, and scholarships nationwide in a wide range of STEM and related disciplines. A one-stop-shop centralized application process for most NASA opportunities.
- The American Association of University Women
- P.E.O. (Philanthropic Educational Organization) provides many forms of financial assistance for women. P.E.O. Scholar Awards were established in 1991 to provide substantial awards to women of the United States and Canada who are pursuing a graduate degree, terminal degree master's or are engaged in graduate research at an accredited institution.
- The Woodrow Wilson Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship in Woman's Studies
Funding for Minority Students
- MSPHDS: The Minorities Striving and Pursuing Higher Degrees of Success (MSPHDS) in Earth System Science initiative was developed by and for underrepresented minorities with the overall purpose of facilitating increased participation in Earth system science.
Software Video Tutorials, Fast & Easy
(All Office Versions and software including Access not shown below. There are also videos on Publisher & Google docs. Click link above to view all video options or look at the list below for Word, PowerPoint and Excel Video segments.)
2010 Microsoft Office
Doing More with Excel