July 13 - 20, 2019
Konaway Nika Tillicum which means "All My Relations" in Chinook Trade Jargon is an eight day academic academy exploring a broad range of classes, lectures, cultural experiences and recreational activities for Native American students. Konaway is a completely self-supported program, generating funds each year through grants, donations, and fundraisers. We attempt to provide scholarships for all of our students at $825.00 per child. Each household is required to pay a $75.00 fee upon student acceptance, which will reserve their spot in the academy.
Students selected for Konaway stay on the Southern Oregon University campus in Ashland and interact with other Native American students while being challenged by creative, imaginative instructors and activities. Konaway Nika Tillicum is administered by the Center for First Nation Studies, Sociology Department, SOU and the SOU Pre-College Youth Programs.
The deadline for applications is May 3, 2019
2018 Brochure (PDF file)
How to Apply
You have two ways you may apply to Konaway. Either online, or using a paper form.
ONLINE: If you choose to apply online you will be prompted to create an account. Use an email address that you check often, as this is how we will communicate with you about the status of your application and will collect necessary authorizations and health information once you've been accepted.
- You will be asked whether you want to purchase a protection plan. This protection plan is not through SOU and IS NOT REQUIRED. You may decline.
- Once you select Konaway Nika Tillicum from the menu of camp options and accept or decline the protection plan you will be told you are registered. Once registered please follow the prompts to complete your online application.
- A complete application includes: 1) a copy of your most recent report card (uploaded to the online application), 2) an essay (completed in the online application), and 3) a recommendation completed by a recent teacher or school administrator. Your reference should mail their recommendation to the SOU Pre-College Youth Programs office.
- APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 3, 2019
- 2019 APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE MID-DECEMBER.
2018 Applications (PDF fillable forms)
Questions about the application process
Instructor Course Proposal Form
Instructor Information Form
“Konaway changed how I look at life. So my whole perspective has changed.”
-Konaway Nika Tillicum Student
For more information about the upcoming Konaway Nika Tillicum program contact:
Konaway Program Coordinator
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520