Students must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours during Fall, Winter and Spring Terms. Students may work as student employees during the Summer Term if they are registered for at least 6 credit hours during Summer or were registered for at least 6 credit hours the previous Spring Term or registered for at least 6 credit hours for the upcoming Fall Term.
Federal Work-Study Eligibility
- The Student must file a FAFSA each year.
- To establish FWS eligibility the Financial Aid Office uses:
- The results of the student's FAFSA
- When the FAFSA was filed (the earlier the better)
- Other aid available to the student
- All students with "financial need" will not be awarded FWS and a FWS award from one year is NOT guaranteed for the next.
- Southern Oregon University is given a limited amount of funding each year for FWS awards. When the University runs out of funding, no further offers can be made. Student's may request to be put on the FWS Wait List, but this is not a guarantee that FWS will be awarded. If funds become available and the student is eligible, FWS may be awarded.
- Additionally, a student must meet the following Federal requirements:
- The student must be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible non-citizen.
- The student must be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, at least half time at Southern Oregon University and be in regular attendance in a degree seeking program.
- The student must maintain satisfactory progress in course work.
- The student must not owe a refund on a Federal or State Educational Grant.
- The student must not be in default of a State or Federal Educational Loan.
- The Student must comply with selective service registration requirements.
Students should contact the Financial Aid office in the Enrollment Services Center if they are unsure about their federal work-study eligibility. The Financial Aid office's phone number is 541-552-6600.
International Student Employment Eligibility
International students with I-20s issued by the University are permitted to work as a student employee. International students must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours during Fall, Winter and Spring terms. International students may work as student employees during the Summer Term if they are registered for at least 6 credit hours during Summer or were registered for at least 12 credit hours the previous Spring Term or registered for at least 12 credit hours for the upcoming Fall Term. International students should contact the Office of International Programs at 541-552-6336 to confirm their eligibility for employment.