Below is a list of forms that are commonly used for on-campus student employment.  Please contact the Student Employment Coordinator at 541-552-7072 if you have any questions about these forms.


Before a student is employed

After you hire a student

  • Student Employment Data Form
    Form required for newly hired student employees. Also used for current employees to change payroll address, phone number, or other student employee information.
  • Student Employment Appointment Form
    Once the student has completed their pre-employment paperwork, they will be given a Student Employment Appointment Form. The Service Center will complete the top portion of the form.  They will indicate whether it is for Federal Work Study or Non-Work Study employment. For Federal Work Study employment, the amount of the student’s award will be verified and included on the form so that both the student and the supervisor are aware of the amount that the student’s gross earnings may not exceed. The student will take the appointment form to their supervisor for completion. The supervisor will complete the department section including their signature, have the student sign and then submit the form back to the Service Center for processing. Upon processing, students will be set up in Web Time Entry (a Banner time keeping system for Southern Oregon University).

    Appointment forms are required for every new position that is accepted and are also only valid through June 12th, or the last day of the Spring Term, whichever is later.  New appointment forms are required either June 13th or the last school day of the Spring Term for employees continuing or rehired in the same position(s).
  • Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)
    The I-9 is required for all first-time student employees and also for employees who have let their employment lapse more than three years.

    As per the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986, all individuals must verify their identity and work authorization by completing an INS I-9 form. Section 1 of the I-9 must be completed by the student and Section 2 by the Service Center.

    The I-9 requires that individuals verify their identity and authorization to work by submitting original documentation. Most students use either a passport or a picture ID such as a state driver's license along with an original Social Security card. Click here for a list of other acceptable documents. Please present original documentation when completing the I-9. The Service Center cannot accept faxes or copies.
  • Form W-4 (Tax Withholding Allowances)
    All wages earned through both regular employment and Federal Work Study employment are taxable, so all students must complete tax withholding allowance forms.  Students must complete a W-4 if they have never worked at SOU before or if their employment has lapsed a period of 90 days or more. 

    Students shall complete the form with the following understandings:

    *University personnel may not make recommendations to students regarding their tax filing status. Discuss the number of allowances/exemptions with parents, guardians or tax advisors before coming to complete the form.

    *The student may be able to claim exception from withholding based upon meeting criteria indicated on the W-4 form.  Exempt status expires February 15th of each year. The student must complete a new W-4 form if their exempt eligibility status continues.

While a student is employed