There are a number of different grant programs, all of which are determined by financial need. Unlike loans, none of these grants have to be repaid.

In order to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and eligibility for these programs, you must fill out the FAFSA .

Federal Pell Grant
up to $6,195 a year
The Pell Grant is the principal federal grant. Like all grant funds, it is a monetary gift and does not have to be repaid. It is available to low-income, undergraduate students. When applying for the Pell Grant, the federal government will notify you of eligibility in your Student Aid Report (SAR). Pell Grant funds are available throughout the year to eligible full-time, 3/4 time or part-time admitted students.

Recent changes in the law limits a student’s Federal Pell Grant award beginning with the 2012-13 academic year. This change limits the total number of years a student may receive a Pell Grant to the equivalent of six years of full time attendance or 600% throughout their lifetime as a student. Learn what the Federal Pell Grant limits are and how your remaining eligibility is calculated.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
up to $1,000 a year
Like the Pell grant, the FSEOG is a federal grant for undergraduates. Students with high financial need may receive funding from both the Pell Grant and the FSEOG.

Oregon Opportunity Grant
Up to $3,300 per year
OSAC will consider undergraduate students who are Oregon residents for these awards. Oregon Grants are renewable annually, provided financial need and satisfactory progress continue. You may receive up to twelve terms of these grants. Learn more by clicking here.

TEACH Grant (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education)
Up to $3,764 a year
This grant is available to students who plan to become teachers and agree to serve as full-time teachers at low income schools within certain high-need fields for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the course of study for which a grant was received. Applicants must meet certain academic standards and fill out the SOU Federal TEACH Grant Application(PDF).

Important Note: If you do not carry out the obligation to serve, the TEACH grant funds received convert to a Direct unsubsidized loan that must be repaid with retroactive interest.