The Office of the Dean of Students supports our campus community and promotes individual student success and retention. Please submit an SOU Cares Report for all concerns so we can assist individuals and communities in need of support or intervention. You may contact us through email, scheduling links, phone, or fax lines listed below. Use 911 for immediate response to emergencies. Please see below for information and links for COVID, SOU Cares reporting, contacting the staff, scheduling information for case managers, scheduling for legal services, and information on connection and support groups.
COVID-19: Link to updates and notifications
Emergencies, Alerts, and Notifications:
- Use 911 for emergencies - The regional 911 dispatch center dispatches all emergency response personnel, including Campus Public Safety, Ashland Police, and Ashland Fire and Rescue.
- You may also sign up for SOU Alerts and Notifications on the SOU Campus Notifications website.
SOU Reporting: We encourage and support a culture of reporting at SOU: Link to the SOU Cares Report.
Contact the Office of the Dean of Students:
- Dean of Students, Taylor Burke: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Dean of Students and Director of Engagement and Support Programs, Janelle Wilson: email@example.com
- Case Manager, Joan Anderson: firstname.lastname@example.org, Link to schedule for Joan Anderson
- Case Manager, Emily Holgen: email@example.com, Link to schedule for Emily Holgen
- Coordinator of Student Conduct and Restorative Justice, Victoria Goodson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coordinator for Career Services, Max Brooks: email@example.com
- Mailing address: Office of the Dean of Students, Southern Oregon University, 1250 Siskiyou Boulevard, Ashland, Oregon 97520
- Phone: 541-552-6623
- Fax: 541-552-8324
Legal Services: Schedule with the Attorney for SOU Students:
ASSOU contracts with an attorney who provides legal assistance for students. Legal consults may include questions about legal matters that are unrelated to SOU. Students may request a free half-hour consultation and may be referred to other professionals through this resource. For an appointment with the attorney, send a legal consult request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and phone number.
Connection and Support Groups:
Below is information about support groups available for our students. Register to attend by clicking the link below. If you have questions, reach out to the facilitator directly. Groups will be held via Zoom meeting to maintain physical distancing requirements.
- Anxiety Relief Group: Mondays from 4:00 to 5:00 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Joan Anderson, Office of the Dean of Students.
- Support Group for BIPOC Students: Fridays from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Valli Anandavalli, Student Health and Wellness Center.
- Community Recovery in Education (CORE): Tuesdays from 12:30 to 1:30pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Student Health and Wellness Center Staff.
- LGBTQIA+ Sexual Assault Survivors Healing (SASH): Tuesdays from 3:00pm to 4:00 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Alex Sylvester, Social Justice and Equity Center.
- Women’s Sexual Assault Survivors Healing (SASH): Wednesdays from 12:00 to 1:00 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Lezley Sanders, Jackson County Sexual Assault Response Team.
A support group for SOU Women and Femme students and community members to heal from recent and past sexual violence. To access this group, please contact Lezley Sanders by email at email@example.com or call/text at 541.840.6672.
- Chronic Pain and Chronic Illness Support Group: Wednesdays from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Emily Holgen, Office of the Dean of Students.
This peer led group supports students who experience chronic pain, chronic illness, and/or frequent illness. Drop-ins are welcome. No regular attendance required. To access this group, contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sober Hour: Wednesdays from 7pm to 8pm through Zoom. Peer group led by an SOU student as part of the CORE program (Community of Recovery in Education). Email email@example.com for the link to join.
- Body Acceptance Group Support (BAGS): Thursdays from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm through Zoom. Facilitated by Autumn Doshier, Student Health and Wellness Center Volunteer.
A support group for SOU students who are looking for a safe space to explore their relationship to their body and food. This group promotes Health At Every Size (HAES) and an opportunity to restore and compassionately make peace with the body. All genders are welcome. To access this group, contact Autumn at firstname.lastname@example.org