Students, Staff, Faculty, and Volunteers driving on university business, whether through a rental or personal vehicle, must be cleared to drive prior to the trip.
RequirementsTo be cleared drivers must:
- Submit the Driver's Clearance Form.
- For drivers with an Oregon driving record (driver's license) in the 3 preceding years, the Service Center will request records from the Oregon DMV. There will be a $5 charge to the department.
- Non-Oregon driving records (those with driver's licenses from other states or those with driving records from other states within the 3 preceding years) must be submitted directly to the Service Center from that state's DMV. These records must be Court Certified.
- No major traffic violations within the last 3 years.
Information and PolicyDriver's Clearance is valid for as long as the driver's record remains clear for the following time periods:
- Students - 2 years
- Staff and Faculty - 5 years
- Temporary Staff and Volunteers - 1 year
Please allow for 5 - 7 business days to be cleared for Oregon driving records. For non-Oregon driving records, please allow for 1 - 2 business day processing once the records have been received.
For those seeking Van Certification to drive 10 passenger vans, there are additional requirements once the driver has been certified. Please allow for additional time to become certified.
For further details on policy, please visit FAD.020 Vehicle Use and Operation.
To be cleared to drive 12 passenger vans (both SOU motorpool and rentals), drivers must first be cleared to drive. Once cleared, those wishing to be van certified will receive instructions for how to proceed. The written test must be taken and passed prior to taking the physical driving test. Physical driving tests are by appointment only. Both tests must be successfully completed prior to drivers being allowed to rent or drive 12 passenger vans. This process can take anywhere from 3 - 7 business days, so plan ahead.
To view the Driver's Clearance Form log into your SOU Gmail account.