Master's of Arts in Teaching Licensure Option

While earning their Environmental Education Master's, students can also earn an additional Master's of Arts in Teaching degree with an Oregon initial teaching license at the Middle/High School teaching level with endorsements in Integrated Science or Biology.  It is also possible for students to earn an MAT and Oregon initial teaching license at the Upper Elementary/Middle School level.  Other licensure options and endorsements are available on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact Linda Hilligoss for more information on additional options.

This unique option distinguishes the Environmental Education Masters program at SOU from similar programs.

Additional application requirements for the teaching licensure program:

This option adds an additional 32 credits and will extend the program completion date by two quarters.

Applicants interested in applying to the licensure program must meet the January 16th deadline for applying to the Environmental Education masters program.

Fall in the field children sit in circleTeaching Licensure FAQs

How many letters of recommendation do I need?

Applicants applying for both the Environmental Education Masters and teaching licensure must submit three letters of recommendation, plus two form letters provided in the Dual Environmental Education-Teaching Licensure supplemental application packet. One of the letters of recommendation should speak to the applicant's teaching experience and potential in a classroom environment. 

What prerequisite course work will I need to complete?

Applicant seeking Upper Elementary/Middle School License must complete Math 211, 212 and 213.  Because Environmental Education students focus primarily on science, they are required to take the grade-appropriate prerequisite science test.  Upper Elementary/ Middle School prerequisite requirements can be found here. These courses can be taken concurrently with Environmental Education Masters and MAT teaching licensure classes.

Applicants seeking a Middle/High School License must look at the requirements for Integrated Science or Biology, located above.  

How long will the program take?

The Environmental Education Masters program usually takes 18 months (July through the following December).  Teaching licensure students usually take an extra two terms to complete student teaching.

How will I complete the extra coursework?

Most teaching licensure students take some classes at the RCC/SOU Higher Education Center in Medford in order to complete the additional coursework.  These classes usually meet in the evenings and one Saturday per month.  The Medford campus is about 15 miles from the Ashland campus. Public transportation is limited and most students carpool to their Medford classes.

Where do I send my application materials?

Please refer to the EE Application page for a checklist of materials to submit.  Please send licensure application materials to:

       Applications Coordinator
       School of Education
       Southern Oregon University 
       1250 Siskiyou Blvd
       Ashland, OR 97520