Environmental Health and Safety collects hazardous waste materials in several categories for disposal, treatment or recycling for Southern Oregon University.

Municipal waste requiring treatment or special handling:

  • Paint is picked up by EH&S.  
  • Sharps that are not contaminated and collected in durable containers must be labeled as “Sharps”.

Universal waste:

  • Waste oil (in a sealable container)
  • Fluorescent or metal halide lamps (broken lamps in a sealed container)
  • Computer and Electronic Equipment (University owned, non-working) Working equipment is collected by Trades Maintenance Coordinator at 2-6885
  • Batteries (alkaline, Ni-Cad, Li, lead acid [wet and dry])
  • Smoke detectors

Biohazard waste:

  • Blood-contaminated debris
  • Waste that is known to be infectious, pathogenic, etiological, or otherwise a suspected health hazard.
  • Sharps that are contaminated and labeled as “Biohazard Waste”

Regulated waste:

  • Chemicals which are Flammable, Toxic, Corrosive or Reactive
  • Controlled Substances and Medications
  • Degreasers and Cleaning Products
  • Pesticides
  • Mercury-containing thermometers, switches, etc.

Presciption Medication Waste:

  • Taken to the Ashland Police Department for disposal

Do not put these materials in the trash or down the drain.

Proper disposal is accomplished by following the steps listed below:

  1. Collect the material in an appropriate container that is one gallon or less in size, or obtain authorization from EH&S for alternate containers. Containers must be compatible with the type of material being collected and non-leaking with secure lids.
  2. Attach a completed “Caution Hazardous” tag to each container. If you have questions or need tags, contact Environmental Health and Safety at 2-6881.
  3. Call Environmental Health and Safety for collection (2-6881). Provide the following information: your name, your University affiliation (Principal Investigator or Department), the location of the waste material (lab, building, room #, etc.), your SOU extension, and the amount and type of waste material to be collected, e.g. 2 bottles of organic waste, etc.

Waste collections are usually completed within one week of notification.

Commonly Asked Hazardous Waste Questions:

How do I collect the waste?

Segregate waste streams - organic from inorganic, solids from liquids, halogenated from non-halogenated. The more you segregate waste, the more recycling and disposal options there are for us.

Glass or plastic bottles are acceptable. Consider the compatibility of the waste with the bottle, and find an appropriately sized bottle for the amount of waste you expect to generate.

Containers must be labeled from the first time a waste is placed in the container.

Containers must be kept closed except when adding material.

How do I store it?

Store the waste material in a controlled area and in secondary containment when possible. Make sure containers are sealed, non-leaking and properly identified with the proper chemical tag

Do not over fill containers (for liquids, leave two or more inches of headspace).

How do I identify the waste?

List the contents by chemical name, no abbreviations.

If several small additions are made over time, create a list of discarded materials, noting the material, concentration and amount. Initial each entry.