While international students are free to work on campus without any special approval, federal visa regulations stipulate that international students cannot work off campus without prior authorization. Students who work off campus without authorization may be subject to removal and cancellation of their visa status and a 3-10 year ban from the United States. Please make an appointment to meet with the International Student Advisor to ask any questions that you may have about employment.


On-Campus Employment


An F-1 or J-1 student may work on-campus upon beginning an academic program at SOU. Students can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session or full-time during vacation periods as long as they maintain good visa status. This work does not have to be related to a student's course of study.


Federal regulations require J-1 students to obtain prior approval for on-campus work. J-1 students sponsored by SOU should complete the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to obtain written approval from the Office of International Programs before beginning their employment at SOU.


An international student is eligible to work until the last day of class (the final exam) through the end of his/her program of study; upon completion of a program or graduation, a student is no longer eligible to work on-campus. International students may work on campus over the summer only if they are enrolled for the upcoming fall term at SOU (or another school in the U.S.) and/or taking full-time summer classes. 


Please note that international students are not eligible for work-study positions.


Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application Guidelines and Recommendation Form

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Application Guidelines and Recommendation Form

OPT STEM Extension Application Guidelines


Off-Campus Employment for J-1 Students


Academic Training Application Guidelines and Recommendation Form