Visa Renewal

As long as you are student in good standing and have not violated your status, you may legally remain in the United States with an expired F-1 visa. If you exit the United States and apply for a visa, you cannot return to the United States until the visa is issued. This could take a long time. If the visa is denied, you will not be able to return to the US as a student.

You cannot renew your student visa while in the US. The Department of State recommends that you apply for a visa in your home country.

Documents Required For Visa Renewal

  • A passport valid for at least six months;
  • An application Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158. Both forms must be completed and signed. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. Blank forms are available without charge at all US consular offices and on the Visa Services website at U.S. Department of State Visa Application Forms.
  • A receipt for visa processing fee. A receipt showing payment of the visa application fee for each applicant, including each child listed in a parent’s passport who is also applying for a U.S. visa, is needed.
  • A new I-20 or an I-20 that has been endorsed by a school official within the past six months.
  • An up-to-date official transcript from each school you have attended.
  • New financial documents from you or your sponsor, showing your ability to cover the cost of your schooling.