If you already possess an F-1 student visa and are in good visa standing at your current school, you can have your I-20 transferred to SOU. You must begin your classes or program within five months of transferring out of your current school, completing your program at the end date of your OPT employment, whichever comes earlier. If you do not meet these requirements, you can depart the country and return as a new F-1 non-immigrant.

International travel is not advised during the visa transfer process. Please do not travel abroad until your visa has been transferred to SOU and you have been issued an updated I-20 or DS-2019 document.

Please keep in mind that you should notify both your present school and SOU of your intent to transfer as soon as possible to ensure that the transfer process goes smoothly.


    1. Submit an SOU International Application and application fee on-line.


    2. Notify your present school of your intent to transfer. Give them a copy of your SOU admission letter and complete their Transfer Out form OR complete SOU's Transfer In form. Your current school advisor will make the necessary changes in SEVIS. A release date will be assigned to your SEVIS record.
    3. After the release date has passed, the International Student Advisor at SOU will issue an updated I-20 or DS-2019 for you. Please sign this document immediately.
    4.When you are officially registered at SOU, the International Student Advisor will activate your SOU SEVIS Record.
    5.Remember, keep all outdated I-20s or DS-2019s for your records.