SEVIS Reporting 

SEVIS is a nationwide database that allows schools and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to exchange data on the visa status of international students. Information is transmitted online by SOU to USCIS throughout the student’s academic career. US Consulates and other US government agencies have access to this information.

- International Programs must report the following information to SEVIS:

- Information on any student who fails to maintain status or complete a program

- Information on any student who drops below a full course of study without prior authorization

- Changes in name or address of student and dependents

- Changes in graduation date of student

- Academic or disciplinary actions taken due to criminal conviction

- Termination date and reason

- Any other request made by SEVIS regarding student status

- Start and end dates of academic terms


Entering and Leaving The Country 


New students may enter the US up to 30 days before the program start date listed on their valid I-20 or DS-2019.  


F-1 students who withdraw from school with approval from the Office of International Programs have a 15-day grace period to leave the US. If the Office of International Programs did not authorize the withdrawal, the student has no grace period and must leave the US immediately. 

F-1 students have a 60-day grace period from the program end date listed on their I-20 to leave the country. J-1 students have a 30-day grace period from the program end date listed on their DS-2019 to leave the country. Students in valid grace-period status may leave the US, enter a new academic program, transfer to a different school, or apply to USCIS for a change of status. Students in a valid grace period may NOT reenter the US even if the full grace period has not ended unless they enter with a new I-20 or DS 2019 for a new program or school.

Name and Address Reporting 

Students must notify the Office of International Programs of any address changes within 10 days of that change. Students must provide their physical home address. If it is impossible to receive mail at a physical address, students may also provide a mailing address. Students must notify the Office of International Programs and USCIC of an name changes within 10 days of that change.

Financial Support Reporting

Students must report any substantial changes in their financial support to the Office of International Programs.

Enrollment Requirements

Full Time Enrollment

Students must attend SOU full-time for Fall, Winter, and Spring terms. Students must also achieve a satisfactory grade for each class to be considered enrolled as a full-time student, or they risk falling into visa violation. Full-time at SOU is defined as a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits or 9 graduate credits. 

There are three reasons for which a reduced course load may be authorized:

- Final term of study: students may request a reduced course load during the final term of study only if fewer than full-time credits are required to complete the program.

- Academic reasons: students may request a reduced course load for their first term only if there exists a legitimate academic reason for not succeeding in a course, such as inappropriate class placement.

- Medical reasons: students may request a reduced course load for medical reasons, as documented by a licensed Medical Doctor, a Doctor of Osteopathy, or a Licensed Clinical Psychologist.

All students who request a reduced course load status must first receive authorization from the International Student Adviser. Please contact with the International Student Adviser for more information. 

Type of Courses Allowed

Students may take only one online class per term (up to four credits). Students are also limited to taking only one Pass/No-Pass course per term.

Concurrent Enrollment

Students may enroll in classes at other institutions at the same time they are enrolled in classes at SOU as long as their combined course load is full-time. Students must take the majority of their credits for the term at SOU, and must succeed in all courses, or they risk falling into visa violation.  

Extending Program Dates

Students must apply for an extension of Form I-20 or DS-2019 prior to their current I-20 or DS-2019 program end date. Extensions may be granted at any time prior to the I-20/DS-2019 end date.

Transferring To Another Institution 

Students wishing to transfer to another school should notify the Office of International Programs and provide a copy of their admission letter to the new school. Students should contact the International Student Adviser for more information. Students should contact the International Student Adviser for more information.

Students transferring out must start a new program within 5 months of the completion of their previous program. The 5-month period begins on the completion date of the first degree program. Students must begin their new program during the next term available.


International Student may only engage in authorized employment. Unauthorized employment by an international student constitutes a failure to maintain status. All off-campus work requires prior work authorization. If a student has been employed without prior authorization, no reinstatement of the student visa is possible. 

A student needs to be in F-1 status for at least one academic year to be eligible for off-campus work authorization. Visa holders are eligible for off-campus academic training immediately. For more information, please contact the International Programs office.

Visa Violation and Reinstatement

Falling out of visa status is a very serious affair. If you violate the terms of your visa, you may be subject to any of the following: 

- Denial of re-entry to the US

- Inability to change program levels

- Denial of request for work authorization

- Denial of request to change visa status

- Possible denial of all future visa applications

- Denial of renewed travel signature

Students who fall out of status may choose to file a reinstatement application, letter of explanation and fee to USCIS.

An application for reinstatement must be filed within five months of the status violation. Contact the International Student Adviser for more information.

F-2 and J-2 Dependent Information

F-2 spouses may not engage in full-time study, only part-time study that is avocational or recreational. This means only study undertaken for a hobby or that is “occasional, casual or recreational in nature” may be taken. An F-2 spouse who wishes to take full-time academic study must first apply to USCIS for a Change of Status to F-1. This Change of Status application must be approved by USCIS before registering for, or taking, any classes. F-2 children may only engage in full-time study in grades K-12.

J-2 dependents may study without restriction. J-2 dependents can travel outside of the country on their own. However, J-2 dependents may not stay in country while J-1 leaves the country for “a significant period of time”.

Campus Public Safety
 (541) 552-6258 (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
 (541) 552-6911 (Evenings and Weekends)
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd
Ashland, OR 97520
 (541) 552-7672
Campus Map
Follow Us
SOU facebook  Follow us on Instagram  Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to us on YouTube