Currently licensed teachers can add the Special Education endorsement through SOU's Endorsement Program. The SOU Special Education Endorsement Program is a 39-credit program which is taught in a semi-cohort model. Candidates enter the program during the summer term and complete the program in either a one or two-year cycle. Endorsement courses are delivered face-to-face in the evenings and via Zoom for those at a distance.
- Candidates can complete the endorsement in one or two years.
- Added Endorsement courses are offered face-to-face and online during the summer and academic year. Most Added Endorsement courses will be crosslisted and scheduled at the same time as the Preliminary Special Education courses. Please see the "Class Schedule" on SOU's website.
- Endorsement can be completed while teaching in either a special education or general education setting. Those in a general education setting must receive district approval.
- Endorsement can be incorporated into the Master in Education program. The Master in Education program is 45 credits - students would complete an additional 6 credits for the master's degree.
- Students must apply to the School of Education Master in Education Program and Southern Oregon University Graduate School.
- Students who have graduated from SOU's Master of Arts in Teaching or are currently registered in a graduate program will not need to reapply to the SOU Graduate School.
- SPED/MEd Program of Study
- Added Endorsement Handbook
Mail the completed Special Education Endorsement Program application to:
School of Education
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520