Currently licensed teachers can add the Special Education endorsement through SOU's Endorsement Program. The SOU Special Education Endorsement Program is a 39-credit program which is taught in a semi-cohort model. Candidates enter the program during the summer term and complete the program in either a one or two-year cycle. Endorsement courses are delivered face-to-face in the evenings and via Zoom for those at a distance.
- Candidates can complete the endorsement in one or two years.
- Summer and spring courses are offered online, fall and winter courses are hybrid (four weekend face-to-face sessions each term, in addition to online course work).
- Endorsement can be completed while teaching in either a special education or general education setting. Those in a general education setting must receive district approval.
- Endorsement can be incorporated into the Master in Education program. The Master in Education program is 45 credits - students would complete an additional 6 credits for the master's degree.
- Students must to apply to the School of Education Master in Education Program and Southern Oregon University Graduate School.
- Students who have graduated from SOU's Master of Arts in Teaching or are currently registered in a graduate program will not need to reapply to the SOU Graduate School.
- All applicants must complete a written essay. Click here to download essay articles and writing prompts.
- SPED/MEd Program of Study
- Added Endorsement Handbook
Mail the completed Special Education Endorsement Program application to:
School of Education
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520