Does My Research Need IRB? Use this flow chart to determine if your research activities meet the definition of Human Subjects Research.
If it is determined your research needs IRB, review the following flow chart to determine if your research activities qualify for Exemption. Note: Only the IRB can confirm an Exempt determination.
Does my research qualify for exemption? Use this flow chart to determine if your research activities qualify for exemption under one or more of the federally defined exempt categories under the Common Rule. Categories of Exemption - Definitions and Guidance
If your research activities qualify for exemption fill out the Exempt Research Application below. If your research activities do not qualify for exemption fill out the Non-Exempt Research Application. Note: Only the IRB can confirm an Exempt determination. Do not begin work on your research or begin recruiting participants until a Notice of Exempt Determination has been issued by the IRB.
These forms are accessible in PDF format. Download and save a copy of the pdf before you begin filling out the form.
Instructions: See the IRB Application Instructions for information on how to complete the IRB application.
- Investigator and Study Information Sheet
- Additional Investigators Information Sheet
- Exempt Research Application - IRB Review Request for Projects Using Human Subjects - updated January 4, 2019
- Non-Exempt Research Applicaiton - IRB Review Request for Projects Using Human Subjects - updated January 22, 2019
- Request for Waiver or Alteration of Informed Consent
- Categories of Exemption - Revised Common Rule - posted January 7, 2019
- Investigator Checklist - updated January 9, 2019
These templates are provided as examples. They will likely need to be modified to match your specific project and participants.
- Assent Template (For research with persons who cannot provide consent. ie: children. Please note you must also provide an Informed Consent for the parent or legal guardian)
- Informed Consent-Electronic Survey
- Informed Consent-Focus Group
- Informed Consent-Social & Behavioral Research
- Informed Consent-Research
- Informed Consent-Interview
- Informed Consent-Media