Looking for new ways to succeed in college and support while you learn those new strategies? Looking for support in navigating the many competing priorities of a student? Looking for a program that gives students with learning disabilities the tools to succeed? Looking for a university that offers more than accommodations? Then you are looking for UCAM.
If you'd like to talk with one of the coaches about what UCAM might do for you, then use our online calendar to schedule a time!
What is UCAM?
UCAM is a comprehensive, fee-for-services support program for students experiencing academic challenges. We know that, for a variety of reasons, some students need a coach to help them reach their academic best. Designed for students with executive function challenges, ADHD, ASD, GAD, and other learning differences and/or diagnoses, UCAM promotes self-advocacy, autonomy, and academic achievement. Our coaches work with students in weekly individualized coaching sessions.
The mission of UCAM is to provide supportive and challenging coaching and mentoring for students with a wide variety of learning differences. Focused specifically on the individual student and the student's own goals, UCAM staff help the student develop academic skills, self-efficacy, and an understanding of the unwritten curriculum on their journey to become resilient, self-directed learners. UCAM encourages students to fully integrate into campus life, recognizing that mental and physical health and social connections are integral to their success in college.
Who benefits from UCAM?All students can benefit from UCAM. Students who have experienced challenges with planning, follow-through, breaking big projects into manageable tasks, determining what's important to study and how to do it often choose to participate. Students can join UCAM whether or not they have a documented learning disability.
How does UCAM work?
UCAM is a year-long service that provides a fall new student orientation, a parent orientation, weekly coaching sessions, a professional writing tutor, skill developmental classes, a community study space, and social opportunities. Students report that having their coach to check in with each week makes an enormous difference in their success and ability to handle stress.
UCAM provides weekly, one-on-one coaching sessions, plus follow-up support as needed. UCAM is available to all SOU students and is financial aid eligible. Cost ranges from is $1,750-$3,400/term, depending on number of coaching hours.
- Pre-registration meetings
- New student orientation
- 3-credit course sequence for for first-year students
- Parent orientation
- Professional writing tutor
- Communal study space and lounge
- Referrals to other campus and community resources
- UCAM Peer Mentor
- End-of-term coaching feedback
- Study jams
- Social opportunities
- Coach-guided study sessions
What happens in coaching sessions?
- Meet with the same Academic Coach on a weekly basis
- Set and meet academic and personal goals
- Work on executive functioning skills such as time management, organization, and prioritization
- Track due dates and complete assignments
- Break down larger assignments into more manageable pieces
- Develop effective study skills
- Promote self-advocacy
- Teach stress and anxiety management techniques
- Become familiar with SOU's management systems to determine grades, instructor feedback, schedule advising meetings, lift appropriate holds, track institutional deadlines through the Academic Calendar, and more