The following items must be a part of your application. Please READ carefully. You may want to check off each item as you include it in our application.
SECTION A: SUBMIT TO SOU ADMISSIONS
- A completed Application for Graduate Admission* (available at http://www.sou.edu/admissions/graduate/). ** A $60 non-refundable application fee will be required at the time of application.
- As indicated on the Graduate Application, request to have one set of official transcripts of your coursework at all colleges or universities you have attended or are currently attending sent to Admissions. You cannot be admitted to the University without official transcripts. The official transcript must show degrees earned.
*Note for applicants who have received a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree from Southern Oregon University: If you have attended other institutions since leaving SOU, you must submit official transcripts to the SOU Admissions Office. Otherwise, you only need to complete Section B.
SECTION B: SUBMIT TO THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- Application for Admission to M.Ed Program
- Copy of your current teaching license, if you hold one (Oregon or another state).
- Character Questions form
- TWO letters of recommendation from persons who can speak to your skills and experience relative to the program requirements.
- Test score report for one of the following graduate entrance exams:
The National Teacher's Core Battery Exam: Test of Communication Skills (#10510) and the Test of General Knowledge (#20500) with a score of at least 667 for the Test of Communication Skills and a score of at least 666 for the Test of General Knowledge.
The Graduate Entrance Exam (GRE) with a score of 3 or better on the analytical writing and a combined score of 300 or higher on verbal and quantitative reasoning.
Passing scores on the Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA) Multiple Subjects Exams. The two tests required for admission are:
Subtest 001: Language Arts, Social Science, The Arts, AND
Subtest 002: Mathematics, Science, Health and Physical Education
Subtest 002: Mathematics, Science, Health and Physical Education, AND
Subtest 003: Language Arts, Social Science, the Arts, Reading Instruction
(Please note: If taken and passed between October 1995 and June 2005, the Praxis Multiple Subjects Assessment for Teachers (MSAT) Content Knowledge #10140 and MSAT Content Area Exercises #20151 exams may be substituted for the ORELA tests.
The Praxis II: Specialty Area Tests with passing scores for the subject in which you are endorsed.
Passing scores on the Miller Analogies Test.
NES Specialty Area exam or NES Elementary Education subtests I and II.
Please submit the above items together to:
School of Education
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520
Students must also qualify with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their last 90 quarter (60 semester) hours of undergraduate work. If a student meets all other requirements for the Master's program but has a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99, he/she will be admitted as a post-baccalaureate student and must complete 12 credits of approved graduate work with a grade of B- or better. The student can then file a "Change of Status" form to gain full admission.
Students meeting all criteria other than passing scores on a graduate entrance exam will be given post-baccalaureate status. The student can proceed to file a program but will not be able to earn a Master's degree until he/she has passed a graduate entrance exam. At such time, he/she must file a "Change of Status" form along with the test score report to gain full admission. This must be done prior to the completion of 30 credits on the approved program.
Once admitted, students are responsible for filing a program within their first 12 hours of graduate coursework.