Travel Authorization

All travel shall be conducted in the most efficient and cost-effective manner resulting in the best value for the university.

  1. A Travel Expense Reimbursement Form must be signed by the traveler and the persons immediately responsible for the budget areas involved. Authorizing one's own reimbursement is not acceptable.  
  2. Faculty must secure written approval from the appropriate vice president, department administrator, or director prior to incurring any expense.
  3. All faculty/staff in Academic and Student Affairs are required to obtain written pre-approval for out-of-state travel before making travel arrangements.
  4. Approvals for non-faculty travel must be obtained in advance from authorized campus personnel, either in written or oral form, subject to departmental policy practices. 

Travel Reimbursements

Once a trip is complete, the Travel Expense Reimbursement Form must be submitted to the Travel Office in Business Services for processing within 60 days from conclusion of the travel otherwise a written explanation as to the reason for the delay must be submitted along with the travel expense report form. Receipts for lodging, registration fees, airline tickets, rental vehicles, and miscellaneous expenses in excess of $25.00 should be attached.  Commercial ground transportation (taxicab, airport shuttle) requires receipts if over $75.00 per item.

A Travel Exception Form and receipts must accompany the Travel Expense Reimbursement Form when more than one person is attending the same out-of-state conference or when claims for meals or lodging expenses exceed allowable rates. New reimbursements will not be made to an employee from whom travel expense reports or unused funds are overdue. Any person who fails to settle an advance may not receive any future advances.

Reimbursement for airfare expenses may be submitted in one of two ways:

  1. On a regular Travel Expense Reimbursement Form with other expenses, with receipt attached, once the trip is complete.  
  2. On an Airfare Reimbursement Form with receipt attached (for use when VISA bill for airfare is due prior to return date of trip). 

Foreign Travel

Foreign travel must be pre-approved prior to making plane reservations.  Requests for pre-approval should be submitted as follows.

Academic Affairs: Send pre-approval request to Provost

All Other Divisions: Send pre-approval request to Vice President for Finance & Administration

An International Travel Pre-approval Form must be submitted and approved before plane reservations are made.  A copy of the approved form will be sent back to you.  When you return from your trip, attach the Preapproval Form to the Travel Expense Report.

Lodging and meal rates vary depending on destination and the time of year.  Please contact the Travel Office in the Service Center for information, or visit the Defense Travel Management office for per diem rates. 

 Travel Office: Britt Hall 3rd Floor, 1250 Siskiyou Blvd. Ashland, Oregon 97520

Operating Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (541) 552-6700