Registration Tips and Tricks

Once you decide to pursue an English degree, visit the Main Office in Central 261, where they will assign you a faculty advisor. Please see "How to Declare an English Major."

  • Meet with your faculty advisor at least once each year to make sure you register for the required classes and to help you develop your Academic Advising Plan. The Raider Student Services will automatically place a hold on your registration if you do not complete an annual Plan. Turn in your completed and signed plan in the English Program office to avoid such holds. Meeting with your advisor at least two weeks in advance of registration will also ensure you do not encounter such troubles.
  • Before registering for classes, always check your SISWEB account for holds on your account that will keep you from getting the classes you need. The Division Assistant can help you identify the source of any holds and assist you in removing them.
  • Always register for classes as soon as you can. Courses fill up quickly and dropping a course is easier than adding one later in the registration period, or even worse, after the term starts.
  • Priority for registration is given according to the number of accumulated credits; however, only completed course credits count, not credits for the courses you are currently taking. Consult the Raider Student Services for the current preregistration timetable.
  • Looking for the add/drop form [PDF], or SOU General Education Requirements worksheet?
  • Located on the first floor of Britt Hall, the Raider Student Services Office is open from 9:00-4:00 Monday through Friday. You can reach them at (541) 552-6600.


Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Master of Arts in Teaching Program

  • What English courses should I take if I want to apply to the MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) program?
    The English Program Office has a handout, titled The Revised List of Required Courses for Language Arts Secondary Teaching License, which lists these classes. 
  • If I haven't completed these requirements, can I make them up while I'm in the MAT program?
    No. This was once possible (back when the program was referred to as the "5th year program"). In the MAT program, it is no longer possible to pick up courses in your subject area once you are in the program. In other words, you need to complete the required English classes before beginning the program.
  • What kind of classroom experience should I have?
    You need two documented experiences of working with young people in an academic setting, under the supervision of someone who can write you a letter of recommendation. The MAT program no longer accepts other experiences with children as your primary reference.
  • Must this classroom experience be in the form of a practicum for credit?
    No, although such practica are available on a limited basis for those who wish to pursue them.
  • What opportunities are there for volunteer work in schools and when should I do it?
    The best time is Spring of your Junior year or Fall of your Senior year. To find out about volunteer possibilities, contact the school's secretary, who can direct you to the person in charge of volunteers. Often students from the area work with former teachers in their former schools.
  • What other things should I do?
    By your Junior year, you should check out the online application to the MAT program. Make a checklist for yourself of the things you have to do and when. It is particularly important to note when standardized tests are offered.
  • What kinds of recommendations are important?
  • References from people who can evaluate you as a teacher are more important than letters from people who evaluate you as a student. Letters from other people who can evaluate your interactions with young people are good (the volleyball coach, etc.) but only to supplement evaluations of your work with young people in an academic setting.
  • Are there other things that can help me?
    Experience with diversity is one of the things the program looks for. In addition to your coursework, and proficiency in a Foreign Language (which will be required soon anyway), experience abroad, and/or with the Guanajuato program is helpful.
  • Are there advantages to getting a teaching license in Oregon?
    Yes. With an Oregon license, you'll have an easier time getting jobs in California, Washington, and Idaho. If you go to one of those other states for a license and come back to Oregon, you'll usually have to do more to get an Oregon license.