Note: These procedures safeguard state assets, create efficiencies in surplus or scrap, obtain maximum value consistent with efficiency, and attempt to reduce negative environmental impacts.

Seven Steps for Disposal of Surplus Property

    1. Determine the status of the property : loaned, leased, donated, or purchased?
    2. Determine if the property is federally owned or state-owned.
    3. Dispose of state-owned computers through Computing Services.
    4. Attempt to negotiate a trade-in.
    5. Attempt a transfer to another SOU department.
    6. Dispose of remaining surplus through Facilities Management and Planning (FMP).
    7. Provide necessary information and/or paperwork to FMP and/or Business Services.

1. Status of Property

Determine the status of the property: loaned, leased, donated, or purchased?

If the property is loaned, leased, or donated or you are unsure, contact Business Services (552-6313). If the property is purchased, go to step 2. 


top2  Back to top

2. Federal or State Ownership

Determine if the property is federally owned or state-owned.

If you are unsure of the answer or if the property is federally owned, contact Business Services (552-6313). If the property is state-owned, go to step 3. 


top2  Back to top

3. Computer Disposal (State-owned)

Dispose of state-owned computers and computer-related hardware through Information Technology. Note: If the property is not a computer or computer-related hardware, go to step 4.

Contact the Help Desk (552-6900) to initiate disposal. In some cases, Information Technology will require a department to use FMP Support Services to transport the computer(s) and related hardware to Information Technology (at the cost of the department requesting the disposal). Departments disposing of large quantities of obsolete equipment may incur processing and recycling fees.


top2  Back to top

4. Trade-in

To obtain a discount on a new purchase, attempt to negotiate a trade-in.

Negotiate directly with a vendor; the Purchasing Office (552-6313) can assist you. Be sure to arrange shipping or pickup of property with the vendor. Document a trade-in on the hard copy of the vendor invoice and in the text of the purchase order created for the new equipment. Notify Business Services (552-6599) of a trade-in; include the inventory number, item description, and trade-in value. Business Services will prepare and forward a Property Disposition Request Form (PDR) for your signature.

If trade-in is not possible, go to step 5. 


top2  Back to top

5. Transfer

Attempt to transfer property to another SOU department.

Offer property free or at a cost to other campus departments, using the Groupwise "Surplus Property" e-mail group. If the property is on the original owner's equipment inventory, that department must notify Business Services (552-6313). If property is sold to another department, enter a Banner Finance journal voucher to transfer funds. (If input by the seller, use journal type 3SJV. If input by the buyer, use journal type 3JV1). If transportation is required, the new owning department can contact FMP Support Services.

If no campus departments are interested, go to step 6. 


top2  Back to top

6. Facilities Management and Planning (FMP)

Dispose of remaining surplus through Facilities Management and Planning (FMP): campus use , sale or donation , scrap/recycle. 

plus1  Campus use

Surplus property valued under $250 is added to FMP's storage for a limited time. If no campus use is found, the property is sold. 

plus1  Sale or Donation

All items that are for sale as surplus are offered to the public at large; all interested parties have equal opportunity to purchase a surplus item.

Methods of Sale/Donation

    • Online auction: FMP may choose eBAY or other similar online auction to dispose of surplus property. Photos are needed.  FMP administers the auction.
    • Local garage sale:  FMP may administer local garage sales to sell items in surplus storage. 
    • Newspaper/media print advertisement:  For some items, FMP may advertise in local publications. 
    • Donation. Under certain circumstances, surplus property can be donated to qualified nonprofit organizations. For information on donating an item, contact Business Services at (552-6313).
    • Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Auction: FMP may choose to dispose of surplus property through DAS.
    • Other methods: FMP reserves the right to use any methods of disposal that fall under OUS guidelines.

plus1  Pricing

Without undervaluing an asset, prices are kept as reasonable as possible. A balance between fair market value for an asset and timely disposal is required. Whenever practical, current market values are used to guide the pricing process. Kelley Blue Book is available for vehicle pricing. DAS auctions and other eBAY auctions are also indicators of the approximate value of an item. For items valued at $250 or above, departments may request a reserve price for online auctions. The reserve price should be a rock-bottom price, though, not a desired sale price. In all instances, with advice from the department that owns the asset, FMP sets the final price.

plus1  Proceeds/Fees

Items valued under $250. For these items, submit a delivery request to arrange a pickup, at which time the asset is no longer associated with the department. Proceeds from items valued under $250 remain with FMP.

Items valued at $250 or more
. If an item is sold by SOU, FMP deducts a base fee of $250 and 10% of any remaining proceeds. If an item is sold through DAS, DAS deducts administrative fees*, FMP deducts a base fee of $250 (or the remaining proceeds if less than $250) and 10% of any remaining proceeds.


Sale Amount

*DAS Administrative Fee


Under $500

50% fee


$500 - $5,000

20% fee


$5,001 - $10,000

15% fee


Over $10,000

10% fee

plus1  Scrap/Recycle

An asset that has no resale value or an asset that is broken beyond cost-effective repair is disposed of at the discretion of FMP. Methods of disposal include, but are not limited to, the regular refuse stream, organic material recycling, electronic recycling, metal recycling, or appliance recycling. Nonworking or unrepairable appliances, including, but not limited to, washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators, freezers, and televisions, must be disposed of through an appliance recycler. FMP Support Services handles the disposal; the department owning the asset is charged for the cost of the disposal. FMP will send a PDR to the department for signature. 


top2  Back to top

7. Required Information or Documents

Provide necessary information and/or paperwork to FMP and/or Business Services.

plus1  Comprehensive Information

If the property tag number is known, in most instances no further research is required. If the property tag number is not known, provide as much of the following information as possible:

    • Description
    • Year Acquired*
    • Condition
    • Acquisition Cost*
    • Make
    • Current Value
    • Serial Number
    • SOU Inventory Number
    • Banner Finance index code used for purchase
    • Any other information pertinent to the asset
    • *Occasionally the purchase date or acquisition cost is no longer available.

plus1  Property Tag

If known, provide the property tag number to Business Services (552-6313).

plus1  Power of Attorney

For items sold by DAS that have a title, a power of attorney form is required to transfer authority to sell the asset to DAS. FMP provides the form for the department head to sign.

plus1  Property Disposition Report (PDR)

Business Services or FMP prepares the form but may need information from the owning department:

    • Department
    • SOU Inventory Number
    • Property Tag
    • Quantity
    • Description of Asset
    • Year Acquired
    • Acquisition Cost
    • Estimated Value
    • Minimum Sale Price

plus1  Procedure

    • Record current vehicle mileage and condition as accurately as possible; notify FMP.
    • Perform a test-run before sale to ensure it is operable; notify FMP.
    • Provide a valid title. In the event of a lost title, FMP obtains a new title from the Oregon DMV at the cost of the owning department.
    • For items sold by DAS that have a title, a power of attorney form is used to transfer authority to sell the asset to DAS.
    • The department head signs the form prepared by FMP.


top2  Back to top