We want to provide resources for connection and community. Below in each slider, we’ve listed different ways of involvement.
Spring 2023 Upcoming Events
1) Disability Awareness | Film Series Discussions
The Office for Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion and Disability Resources has curated the following film series for us to learn together. We invite you to join us in expanding our communal knowledge about the ways in which students with disabilities experience their college education & beyond.
*All events will have ASL Interpretation and Transcription Services Available*
Please, complete the following form to attend the event and receive the (2) Zoom invitations:
Disability awareness | Film Series Discussions Form
a) FILM DISCUSSION DATE | Wednesday, May 10th | 12:00 - 1:30 PM | ZOOM
- Watch “Crip Camp – A Disability Revolution” before May 10th
- Panelists: Carey Jean Sojka, Merrilyne Lundahl, Aubrey Owens
- FILM: CRIP CAMP – DISABILITY REVOLUTION (via YouTube) | Runtime: 1 hour 42 minutes
- Watch Party: Friday, May 5, 2023 | SU Diversions | 12:00 -1:30 PM
b) FILM DISCUSSION DATE | Wednesday, May 17th | 12:00 - 1:30 PM | ZOOM
- Watch “Let's Work!” before May 17th
- Panelists: Salem Antle, Leandra Figueroa-Pagán
- FILM: LET’S WORK! (via YouTube) | Runtime: 48 minutes
- Watch Party: Friday, May 12, 2023 | SU 319 | 12:00 - 1:00 PM
c) FILM DISCUSSION DATE | Wednesday, May 24th | 12:00 - 2:00 PM | SU Arena (in-person)
- Watch Film, Discussion & Panel Discussion (same day)
- Panelists: Stacy Fields-Bridging Communities; Rosa Ochoa--Latinx Community Developer for Bridging Communities; Rhonda Smerdon-Autism Society of Oregon, Greyson Johnson & Jennifer Jones
- FILM: AUTISM GOES TO COLLEGE (via Kanopy) | Runtime: 1 hour 2 minutes
For more details, you can send an email to email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
2) Disability Resources Graduation Celebration!
Peer Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
DR has drop-in hours with our PEC, Merlin Gerhard, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., feel free to stop by for AIMS assistance, questions regarding DR, or just to chat!
You can schedule an appointment with DR's PEC here: https://drpeerengagement.
Disabled Student Union (DSU)
While the Disabled Student Union (DSU) is not an extension of Disability Resources, it is important for our students to find community. As such, DSU is a student-run organization to provide connections for students with disabilities and allies. Feel free to reach out to them with the information provided below.
Email DSU's Co-Presidents:
- Kitty Valbuena | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greyson Johnson | email@example.com
A message from DSU: Students at large have formed together to create a student union that works to empower those with disabilities on campus. We strive to help those with disabilities, and without, to find community. We want to create a place, even virtually, where we can congregate for fun activities and discussion, as well as have a platform to fight for change on and off-campus.
To that end, weekly meetings are Fridays from 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. in the Dankook Room (Rm #314). Additional information available upon request at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com!
Additional Supports Around Campus
Below we’ve collected some links to other engagement pages around SOU. Let us know if you know of others!
- Office of the Dean of Students: Campus Support Groups & Peer Resources
- Office of the Dean of Students: Basic Needs Resources
- You @ SOU - Take care of your health. Find tips and tools for everything from your mental and physical health, to friendships and finding balance. It’s all here at Southern Oregon University.
- Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC)
- 24/7 Mental Health Support - The SHWC is partnering with My Student Support Services (MySSP) to expand their services to ensure all students have access to a mental health counselor anytime, from anywhere. Access MySSP Services
- Social Justice and Equity Center (SJEC) - Provides advocacy, education, community, and resources at Southern Oregon University; centering the needs of Black students, Indigenous students, students of color, queer and trans students, women and femmes, as well as veterans and military families. We work toward a sustainable world.
- Campus Recreation - Campus Recreation is dedicated to creating a culture of wellness at SOU. Offer a variety of programs and services including fitness classes, a relaxation room, and a wellness blog, to help our members engage with the different dimensions of wellness and connect with their peers. Learn to Live Well!
If you have questions about any of these topics or resources, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media...come join us to keep up to date with events and build community!
DR is on a few social media platforms, come join us to keep up to date with events and build community!