Severe weather conditions, especially during the winter, may bring about the curtailment of classes or daily work operations. Please keep in mind that the decision to close the University during such severe conditions rests with University President or designee. Remember that staff who provide essential services (e.g. Campus Public Safety, selected FMP personnel, etc.) will be expected to report to work unless specifically notified otherwise by their supervisor.In the event of extreme inclement weather, please follow these instructions:
- Check SOU Alerts. In the case of emergency, this mass notification system quickly sends alerts through email, phone and text messaging. To sign up or customize your notifications, click here.
- Check the SOU website at www.sou.edu.
- Call after 6:30 a.m. to confirm that the University will be open or closed. For information regarding the Ashland campus, contact 541-552-7672. For information regarding the Medford campus, contact 541-552-8100.
- Staff employees may be contacted by their immediate supervisor in the event of a closure due to inclement weather. If the decision is made prior to the beginning of your regular work schedule, your supervisor will attempt to notify you as early as possible, but not later than 6:30 a.m.
- Review the Use of Leave During Campus Closures and the Temporary Closure or Curtailment of University Services Policy.
- In accordance with Article 63, Section 2 of the 2019-2021 SEIU collective bargaining agreement, closures and delayed openings due to inclement weather or hazardous conditions may be compensated with available inclement weather leave (LTW). Classified employees scheduled and directed to work during designated paid inclement weather/hazardous conditions shall be paid at the rate of double time-and-one-half.
- Tune in and listen to the following radio and TV stations to stay on top of the situation:
|Ashland to Gold Hill||KSJK||KSRG|
|Klamath Falls||KLAD AM/FM