Southern Oregon University is able to serve its students and the community only because of dedicated faculty and staff who come together with diverse backgrounds, talents and abilities to provide an outstanding learning experience. We recognize the existence and importance of family and personal responsibilities and work with employees to respond to these needs.
We embrace the philosophy that employees need balance in their lives to be better contributors in the workplace. At Southern Oregon University we understand that:
- Our diverse backgrounds, talents and abilities are a great strength and should be celebrated.
- When we respect and recognize the varied aspects of our employees’ lives they are more productive.
- Providing employees with the flexibility and support to meet personal needs is important to our campus community.
Faculty, administrators, and supervisors should provide support and flexibility, within policy and applicable collective bargaining agreements, when personal needs outside the workplace or classroom arise for employees. There are a variety of ways to provide for this. Here are some ideas for consideration:
- Flexible Scheduling-schedules that provide for employee needs but maintain academic and performance standards. (For Classified see SEIU C.B.A Article 50 on Work Schedules)
- Employee Assistance Program-This program provides free help to employees with the following: marital or premarital problems, divorce or separation, alcohol or drug abuse, gambling addiction, parent-child relationship, physical or sexual abuse, behavioral disorders, interpersonal relations, stress and anxiety, depression.
- When an employee or an employee’s family member has medical needs-Oregon Family Leave and Federal Family Leave
- Remind employees of some of the fringe benefits available to employees and family members such as Staff Fee Privileges, the Bookstore discount, free admission to SOU employees for sporting events and reduced admission to Theatre and Performing Arts events.
- Health and Wellness programs are available through our health insurance, including discounted gym membership.