Employees of Southern Oregon University (SOU) or qualified family members of SOU employees, who meet requirements listed below are eligible for the employee tuition rate set at 30% of resident, undergraduate tuition, in addition to appropriate fees. Internal Revenue code section 117 mandates that educational assistance provided to family members of SOU employees enrolled in advanced degree programs or graduate-level classes for credit be reported as taxable income. The difference between the reduced tuition and the regular graduate tuition will be taxed.
No application fee will be required of SOU staff members who are eligible for the staff rate.
We are thrilled to announce that beginning Fall term 2022, SOU will expand its staff tuition benefit in three crucial ways:
Transfer of benefit
Currently – The staff tuition benefit may be used by one employee or dependent at a time.
Expansion – The staff tuition benefit can be used by the SOU employee and their dependent, or multiple dependents during the same term when used at SOU.
Restriction – The benefit continues to be accessed by one employee or a dependent per term at the other Oregon Public Universities.
Maximum number of credits
Currently - There is a maximum number of 12 credits per term under the staff tuition benefit.
Expansion - No maximum number of credits for classes taken at SOU by SOU employees and their dependents.
Restriction - The 12-credit maximum continues to apply for classes taken at other Oregon Public Universities.
Currently - Only SOU employees may register for online courses at SOU.
Expansion – Online courses at SOU are available to all employees, dependents, and other
Oregon Public University employees and their dependents.
Restriction – The SOU online MBA and MsEd programs continue to be excluded from the staff tuition benefit program.
Please remember that each university has its own staff tuition benefit exclusions, and the expansions described above apply only to SOU employees and their dependents when classes are taken at SOU.
The seven Oregon Public Universities are: Southern Oregon University, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Portland State University, Eastern Oregon University, Western Oregon University, and Oregon Institute of Technology.
Inquiries about this generous benefit may be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 541 552-8119.
Completed forms should be sent to Michele Barlow, Assistant Director of Human Resources via email at email@example.com, or via fax at 541 552-8508 or delivered to the Human Resources office located in Churchill Hall, Room 159.
Please note that the submission of the Staff Tuition form to Human Resources does not enroll you for the class. You will still need to follow the appropriate steps for enrollment.
Administrative and Teaching Faculty
- Employees appointed to a regular position at least half time (.50 FTE) are eligible for employee tuition privileges. (Combination with secondary temporary positions does not change eligibility for this program)
- Employees must have a 9-month, 10-month, or 12-month contract.
- Temporary unclassified employees, term x term faculty, graduate assistants, and other student employees are ineligible for the employee tuition rate.
- For further information, see the Reduced Tuition Policies..
Classified Employees/Unclassified Professionals
- Temporary classified/unclassified employees, graduate assistants and other student employees are ineligible for the employee tuition rate.
- Classified/Unclassified employees in regular positions, appointed at least half time (.50 FTE) are eligible for employee tuition privileges. (Combination with secondary temporary positions does not change eligibility for this program)
- Employees must have a 9-month, 10-month or 12-month contract.
- The number of credit hours allowed during the work day shall be determined by the employee's supervisor and approved by the department head, taking into account the work load and staffing requirements of the department.
- A make-up schedule must be negotiated and approved by the immediate supervisor and department head for classes attended during working hours. Overtime is not accrued as a result of make-up time. Mandatory enrollment fees may include, but are not limited to, resource, health service, building, incidental, technology, and course fees will apply.
- For further information, see the Reduced Tuition Policies.
Staff Rate Exclusions
Excluded courses at Southern Oregon University:
- Online MBA program
- Online MSED program
- Self-support courses
- Contract or sponsored courses
- High school/college programs
- Study abroad programs: Global Student Teaching, IE3 Global Internships, OUS, NCSA/AHA International.
Self-support and contract courses can be identified by filtering the Session Code in the Advance Search function for Look Up Classes feature on the Student SISWeb link of inside.sou.edu. These courses also have an attribute that indicates the course is not eligible for discounted tuition.
To view a list of exclusions on other campuses, please visit their websites:
Transfer of Staff Fee Privileges
The Southern Oregon University Staff Fee Privileges program has been expanded to permit transfer of staff fee privileges to qualified family members (spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child). This policy will be administered by Human Resource Services under the guidelines set forth; under the Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 580-022-0031. For further information, please see the Reduced Tuition Policies..
Due Dates and Fees Assessed
|Staff Tuition Deadlines and Fee Information|
|Application Due Dates||Payment Due Dates|
|Employees||Transfer of Benefits||(To avoid late payment fees, minimum amount due by the following dates)|
|Fall 2022||Friday, September 16, 2022||Monday, September 5, 2022||Friday, September 30, 2022|
|Winter 2023||Wednesday, January 4, 2023||Monday, December 26, 2023||Friday, January 13, 2023|
|Spring 2023||Wednesday, March 29, 2023||Monday, March 20, 2023||Friday, April 7, 2023|
|Summer 2023||Wednesday, June 14, 2023||Monday, June 5, 2023|
|Fee||Staff Member||Family Member|
|Health Service Fees||Yes|
|Recreation Center Fees||No||Yes|
|Late Payment Fees||Yes||Yes|
|Instructional Tuition||30% of resident undergraduate tuition (maximum of 12 credits if taken at another Oregon Public University (OPU) or by those employed by other OPU's when taking courses at SOU)|
|Online Delivery Fee||$65/credit hour for online courses||$65/credit hour for online courses|
Please note - a $300 Matriculation fee applies to all newly admitted, degree seeking students.
Financial Aid students utilizing staff fees must see a financial aid advisor. Students receiving financial aid and utilizing the staff fee privileges who completely withdraw from courses may be required to repay some or all of Title IV funds.
Questions and concerns about eligibility should be directed to:
Southern Oregon University
Human Resource Services, Churchill Hall
Questions and concerns about staff rate fees should be directed to:
Student Services Associate
Southern Oregon University
Raider Student Services, Britt Hall