Past or present SOU employees needing a legal name change must first have an updated Social Security Card reflecting the new legal name. Updating the legal name requires the individual to bring their updated original Social Security Card (showing the new name) to Human Resources. Students must make legal name changes through Raider Student Services.

  • Form I-9: This document must be updated with any name change, proving the ability to work in the United States. HR staff will re-certify your Form I-9 completed at the beginning of employment, however, a new one may be required.
  • Federal Form W4: Federal tax withholdings may be updated with a name change. Employees can update this at any time in Workday.
  • State of Oregon Form W4: State of Oregon withholdings may also be updated with a name change. Employees can update this at any time in Workday.
  • IT Account Name Change: If a new email or SOU username is necessary, complete the IT Account Name Change Request Form.  Once updated, the Directory and Google accounts will reflect accurately. A manual change to your name in Google+ profile may be required. For assistance, contact your IT Computing Coordinator.
  • PEBB Beneficiary Designation (as appropriate): log into the PEBB member portal to update beneficiary information at any time throughout the year. PEBB beneficiary designations stand for all life insurances offered through PEBB.
  • PERS IAP Beneficiary Designation (as appropriate): for employees in the PERS retirement system, consider updating beneficiaries, which only applies to the IAP. Pension account beneficiaries vary by tier and may require a notarized change. Contact PERS for more information. 
  • ORP or TDI Beneficiary Designation (as appropriate): if in the ORP, rather than PERS, or if you have a Tax Deferred Investment (TDI) go directly to your plan sponsor to update beneficiary information.

Employees desiring to change their preferred first name may do so in Workday by following the 'Change Preferred Name' guide.