The Junior Counselor program takes place during ACADEMY. This program involves working with students completing grades 5 through 8. Junior Counselors will assist Senior Counselors with the supervision of students, be involved in leadership training, participate in an exciting JC class, participate in and help with recreation, and serve as a teaching assistant in a class of their choice.
- Many schools and honor societies require students to complete a certain amount of community service. Junior Counselors will allow you to demonstrate the leadership skills that many colleges look for on applications and when awarding scholarships.
- Junior Counselors take a leadership development class and serve as teaching assistants for two classes each day.
- The ACADEMY director and staff can serve as personal references for future job and college applications
Each Junior Counselor will help supervise a Living Group of 10-14 ACADEMY students during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Junior Counselors will live and eat all meals in the dorms assigned to them. The time commitment for the job is considerable. Students attending ACADEMY range in age from 9-12 years, so the program must provide a high level of supervision, and Junior Counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision. Each Junior Counselor will serve as a Teaching Assistant for one or more classes each day and will also attend a separate JC leadership class during one period. Junior Counselors have an
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTIC REQUIREMENTS
ACADEMY seeks high-energy personalities who find working with young people interesting and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of the ACADEMY program has been the outstanding role models that junior counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in an exemplary manner which includes good personal hygiene and appropriate dress, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision making, and intellectual curiosity.
- Live in the dorm and help supervise 10-14 students.
- Work cooperatively with your senior counselor.
- Actively participate in the Junior Counselor class.
- Attend orientation and staff training prior to ACADEMY.
- Meet daily with ACADEMY staff.
- Assist at registration and checkout.
- Participate in and help with recreational activities, selected classes, afternoon workshops and evening programs.
- Participate in an evaluation of the session.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.