1. What is Advanced Southern Credit (ASC)?
ASC is a program in which high school courses are taught at such a level that they can be awarded college academic credit. Qualified instructors whose courses have been approved by the supervising department at Southern Oregon University teach ASC courses on area high school campuses. Generally, these courses are offered each high school semester, and most carry four quarter credits.
2. What's in it for me?
Advanced Southern Credit can help you if you are planning on going to college. Right now, while you are still in high school, you can take classes that can apply to your college degree. Because these programs are available at a greatly reduced tuition rate, you and your family will save money and time as you work toward your undergraduate degree.
3. Why would I want to take college courses when I'm still in high school?
We've found that high school students enroll in college courses for a variety of reasons.
Some of these reasons are:
- Getting a head start on college courses helped me decide what I wanted to major in.
- I have completed most of their graduation requirements and I want to fill my time with worthwhile course work.
- These courses will save me and my family a lot of money.
- Having college credits on my academic resume looks good on my college applications.
4. How much do I pay for Advanced Southern Credit?
For Fall, Winter, Spring 2018-19 the ASC courses cost $43 per credit hour, or $172 dollars per semester per 4-credit course. This is a real savings. If you took the class at SOU it would cost $1,297.
5. How do I register for an ASC class?
- Gather course and credit information from each of your participating instructors.
- Students who plan to enroll in English 105 or Writing 122 must have earned a B- or above in the first term class.
- Complete the enrollment form.
- You may print the form for your records before submitting online. SOU does NOT need a paper copy.
- Tuition will be assessed at $43 per credit or $172 for a typical 4 credit course. Classes that are not 4 credits will be noted as such in the online course selection menu. Maximum 18 credits allowed.
- If a school or other organization has agreed to pay a part or all of the fees as a scholarship, please indicate that in the payment section and we will work with that organization to obtain payment in time to register you.
6. Will I get high school credit for taking these classes?
Generally, ASC and EE classes will be credited at both the high school and the university level.
7. What are the qualifications fo an ASC instructor?
ASC instructors are considered to be adjunct faculty at the university, although they are not on the university payroll. The preferred minimum degree for ASC instructors is a Master's Degree in the subject area (or a related area) being taught.