A camp celebrating excellence in African American and Black Youth, grades 5-12.
June 15 – 19, 2022
In collaboration with the Southern Oregon Black and African American Student Success Grant, SOU Pre-College Youth Programs is happy to announce new summer programming in celebration of Black/African American Youth in Southern Oregon. The Southern Oregon Black Youth Summer Institute is a residential camp exploring a broad range of classes, lectures, cultural experiences and recreational activities in a university setting for students completing grades 5-12. Selected students will interact with other students living in Southern Oregon who identify as a community member of the African diaspora, a worldwide collection of communities descended from native Africans. Participants will also spend time with Black/African American leaders, and instructors during classes, presentations, and recreational activities. The tuition for 2022 is $50 which is thanks to Grantors like the African American Student Success Grant and Southern Oregon Educational School District.
Read our informational flyer here.
How do I Apply for SO Black Youth Summer Institute (SOBYSI)?
Looking for the recommendation form? Download here.
Please use an email address that you will check often as this will be the email address SOBYSI will use when notifying students of their application status, acceptance, payment information, class selection and last minute reminders. Please do not use student school emails as sometimes those accounts are deactivated over the summer.
When you return to the system, press the 'Account Login' button and enter in your log in credentials. If you have forgotten your login credentials, press 'Account Login,' then 'Forgot Your Password?' If you have futher trouble with the system, please send us an email: email@example.com.
- 100% completion of Application. Please note: Staff will not review applications if there is missing information. A complete application includes all of the components listed below. Please be certain the essay/student statements are complete.
- New student statement prompt: Describe things you have done to enrich your life. (Essay must total 400-500 words)
- Optional Most recent report card. Please upload this into the appropriate spot in the application.
What is Southern Oregon Black Youth Summer Institute (SOBYSI)?
Southern Oregon Black Youth Summer Institute (SOBYSI) is a 5 day, overnight camp held on the beatuiful Southern Oregon University campus in Ashland, OR. Upon acceptance, students stay on campus and experience days of engaging classes, cultural activites and recreational activities.
Read our informational flyer here.
What about COVID-19?
SOU is operating under specific protocols to ensure community safety and compliance with current state and federal guidelines. Please note that students will need to abide by the following guidelines:
- Proof of vaccination will be required to participate
- Exemptions to this policy may be allowed, and will be handled on a case by case basis, and will require additional documentation.
- In the case of an approved exemption families will still need to provide proof of a negative at home antigen COVID test taken no more than 24 hours before arrival at SOU for camp.
- Masks are currently not required to participate in programs on campus, but are recommended.
These requirements, and camp formats, are subject to change depending on state and federal guidelines.
Please visit the SOU Pre-College Youth Programs COVID-19 Attestation website to register your vaccination status or exemption request: https://southernoregonuniversity.formstack.com/forms/precollegeyouth_attestation
You are welcome to email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.