Applications Now Open!
Start or return to your application here!
What Will I Be Doing?
Each senior counselor will be assigned to supervise and mentor 12-14 students from the program during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Expect long, yet rewarding and energizing days. The senior counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision.
- Supervision of students assigned to counselor when students are not in class.
- Live in the residential hall and be directly responsible for 12-14 students.
- Meet daily and communicate with the ACADEMY staff via a group messaging app.
- Assist at check-in and check-out.
- Participate in and help execute recreational activities and evening programs..
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, talk through feelings of homesickness etc.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Material and supply move at the end of the program.
- Attend staff training and orientation on the Saturday and Sunday prior to check-in for orientation and preparation. The staff training and orientation sessions are an important, required and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMY.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who Are We Looking For?
ACADEMY is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people stimulating and fun. Senior counselors must be at least 18 years old and enrolled in a college or university where you have completed your freshman year. We are looking for responsible, mature, and team-oriented individuals. One of the strengths of the ACADEMY program has been the outstanding role model that Senior Counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary which includes: positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, appropriate dress, good personal hygiene and intellectual curiosity.
- Great resume builder for jobs in college and even for post-grad careers.
- ACADEMY Director and staff can serve as employer references for applications.
- Rewarding experience working and mentoring youth.
- Transferrable skills such as basic teaching, counseling, time-management and youth engagement.
- Small pay stipend through SOU Pre-College Youth Programs.
- Walk away with priceless friendships, connections and memories.