PERSONAL CHARACTERISTIC REQUIREMENTS
ACADEMY is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of the ACADEMY program has been the outstanding role model that senior counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary which includes: good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
- Supervision of students assigned to counselor when students are not in class.
- Live in the dorm and be directly responsible for 12-14 students.
- Attend orientation session prior to each session.
- Meet daily with the ACADEMY staff.
- Assist at registration and checkout.
- Participate in and help with recreational activities and evening programs.
- Participate in an evaluation of the session.
- Participate in all afternoon and weekend activities.
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, etc.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Be available to help Housing Office staff when necessary (e.g. cleaning up after social events, assisting with the linen change, etc.)
All counselors are required to attend staff training at the SOU Pre-College Youth Programs ACADEMY Office on the Saturday prior to check-in for orientation and preparation. The staff training, orientation sessions, and work parties are an important and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMY.
Room and board plus $350 per session.