Each Junior Counselor will help supervise a Living Group of 8-10 ACADEMIA LATINA students during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Junior Counselors will live in the dorms assigned
to them and eat all meals in the dining hall. The time commitment for the job is considerable. Students
attending ACADEMIA LATINA range in age from 12 -15 years, so the program must provide a high level of
supervision, and Junior Counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision. Each Junior Counselor
will serve as a Teaching Assistant for one or more classes each day. Junior Counselors have an 11:00 p.m.
curfew. Junior Counselors must have completed their junior or senior year of high school and be in academic
- Must have completed 12th grade
- GPA: 2.75 or higher
- 2 recommendation letters
DOWNLOAD JUNIOR COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION FORM
- Essay # 1 – Why are you interested in being part of Academia Latina? (250 words)
Personal Characteristic Requirements
ACADEMIA LATINA is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people interesting
and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of ACADEMIA LATINA has been the outstanding role model that counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in an exemplary manner that includes good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
- Live in the dorm and help be responsible for 10-14 students.
- Attend orientation session prior to ACADEMIA LATINA.
- Meet daily with ACADEMIA LATINA staff.
- Assist at registration and checkout.
- Help with recreational activities, some classes, and evening programs.
- Participate in an evaluation of the session.
- Participate in all afternoon and evening activities.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Be available to help Housing Office staff when necessary (i.e., cleaning up after social events, assisting with the linen change, etc.).
All JC counselors must attend a staff training at the SOU Youth Programs Office for orientation and preparation. The staff training, orientation sessions, and work parties are an important and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMIA LATINA Counselors will be notified of the specific time and location of the training at a later date.
July 30 - August 5, 2017
Note: Training will take place on Thursday July 27 & July 28.
For more information contact:
Jonathan Chavez Baez
Coordinator for Minority Outreach Programs