Who are we Looking For?
Konaway Nika Tillicum is looking for high-energy personalities that find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature and emotionally stable individuals. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary. This includes good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision making, and intellectual curiosity. Senior counselors (SC) must be at least 18 years old and enrolled in a college or university where you have completed your freshman year. One of the strengths of the Konaway Nika Tillicum program has been the outstanding role model that Senior Counselors provide.
What will I be doing?
Each senior counselor will be assigned to supervise and mentor 10-14 students from the program during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Expect long, yet rewarding and energizing days. The senior counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision.
- Supervision of students assigned to counselor when students are not in class.
- Live in the residential hall and be directly responsible for 10-14 students.
- Meet daily and communicate with the Konaway Nika Tillicum staff via a group messaging app.
- Assist at check-in and check-out.
- Participate in and help execute recreational activities and evening programs..
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, talk through feelings of homesickness etc.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Material and supply move at the end of the program.
- Attend staff training and orientation on the Saturday and Sunday prior to check-in for orientation and preparation. The staff training and orientation sessions are an important, required and fun aspect of preparing for Konaway Nika Tillicum.
- Other duties as assigned.
As a SC you serve many purposes here at Konaway. Konaway staff set the expectations for every SC high-we only expect the best since you are all intelligent individuals. What follows are the expectations we have for all the SCs and how we expect you to act while at Konaway.
- Be a role model.
- Act in a character driven manner, constantly behaving in a mature way.
- Respect all students equally, not showing favoritism, or making negative comments about a student.
- Be available to all students, whether it is simply a chat or to assist them in a challenging situation,
- Never use any form of profanity.
- Always be respectful and courteous to all around you.
- Be respectful of any University property.
- Be on time and prepared for all events.
- Dress appropriately (no low-cut tops, short-shorts, boxers showing etc.)
- Peer disagreements/issues should be dealt with quickly and away from campers.
- Always behave professionally.
- Outside relationships should be left outside the camp.
- Project an energized and motivated persona, doing what you can to excite each student about the Konaway experience.
- Great resume builder for jobs in college and even for post-grad careers.
- Konaway Nika Tillicum Director and staff can serve as employer references for applications.
- Rewarding experience working and mentoring youth.
- Transferrable skills such as basic teaching, counseling, time-management and youth engagement.
- Small pay stipend through SOU Pre-College Youth Programs.
- Walk away with priceless friendships, connections and memories.