August 18 - 21, 2020
About Sea Camp
Sea Camp of Oregon was first established in 1997 with the goal of offering students a hands-on experience in marine biology and science. Southern Oregon University Youth Programs and the Oregon Institute for Marine Biology (OIMB) have worked together to create an environment where students can learn more about the wonders of our oceans and coastlines. Tuition for the camp is $625, which includes meals, transportation to the coast, boarding, and curriculum tailored for grades 4 through 8.
Sea Camp of Oregon is a residential camp held at the Oregon coast in the town of Charleston just south of Coos Bay. Students meet at Southern Oregon University where they board the Sea Camp vans and travel to the coast. They spend the next three days and three nights exploring the wonders of the marine and estuarine environments by hiking, observing marine mammals, tide pooling, and taking classes in marine biology. As a Sea Camp student, you have full access laboratory facilities, hands-on experiences and adventures, and a professional staff that will enable you to learn about the ocean in new and exciting ways. Plus you will have fun on the beach!
Activities may include:
- Laboratory classes with sharks, bony fishes, mammals, and invertebrates
- Tidepooling at Sunset Bay
- Seal and sea lion viewing
- Bird watching
- Marine biology videos, slides, and contests
- Visits to Coast Guard Station and Shore Acres Botanical Gardens and Beach
- Beach campfire and games
How to Apply and Attend Sea Camp (new step in 2020)
For 2020, we have NEW system from the previous years. If you are a returning student, it will have a similar feel moving from section to section as previously, but we hope somethings will be easier. We also have a new way we are working with recommendations letter so please read details on that below. ALL STUDENTS will need to create new profiles, even if you are returning. So when creating a new account, please use an email address that you will check often as this will be the email address we will use when notifying students of their application status, acceptance, payment information, class selection and last minute reminders. Please do not use student school emails as sometimes those accounts are deactivated over the summer. Please note that at this time, Sea Camp has 25 student spots. Students thereafter go on a waitlist.
When you return to the system, press the 'Community Login' button and enter in your log in credentials. If you forget to log in, press 'Community Login,' then 'Forgot Your Password?'
- 100% completion of Application. Please note: Sea Camp Staff will not review applications if there is missing information. A complete application includes all of the components listed below. Please be certain the essay/student statement is complete.
- Student Essay: What are you hoping to discover at Sea Camp in 2020? (new in 2020)
- Most recent report card. Sea Camp requires a minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA (or equivalent). All applicants are required to upload a school transcript. If your school does not report GPA, you will need to upload a school transcript or report card that clearly shows the alternative evaluation scale.
- Most recent achievement test scores such as i-Ready, OAKS, Smarter Balanced, STAR (California). These scores may be from the previous school year. Applicants participating in schools that do not participate in student assessment tests (international students, Waldorf) will be contacted by our reviewers for additional information as needed.
- Acceptance. Once these items are added to the application and it is submitted, we will evaluate the essay, the grade report and the test scores. Sea Camp applications are reviewed in the order that they are completed and received. Pending our current workload, you should hear back from us within 2 weeks of your submission. We appreciate your patience with our process.
- Tuition Payments. Tuition payments are not due until the student has gotten the official acceptance. Medical, health and consent forms will be available to fill out at this time as well.
- Tuition Assistance. Assistance is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Funds are limited and awards will vary between $50 and $150. Because of this, we encourage you to explore other possible financial assistance sources in your area. Tuition Assistance is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Funds are limited and awards will vary between $50 and $150. Because of this, we encourage you to explore other possible financial assistance sources in your area. Award notifications will be made after June 1. If you attend a GEAR UP school and are applying for a GEAR UP scholarship you must complete this section. If you attend a GEAR UP school and are applying for a GEAR UP scholarship you must complete this section.
- Post Acceptance. The next wave of communication about the program, check in times and packing list will come in July 2020.
Stay in Touch