Each senior counselor will be assigned to supervise 12-14 students from the program during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Senior counselors will be required to live in the dorms assigned to them. All meals will be eaten with the students. The time commitment for the job is considerable. The students attending the program will range in age from 12-16 years; therefore, the program must provide a high level of supervision. The senior counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision. The counselors are expected to be on duty and free of all other commitments from Noon until 8:30 am of the following day. Senior counselors who plan to take college classes should not register for classes after 11:00 am during Academia Latina sessions.
- Currently enrolled in college or university
- At least 18 years of age
- Completed freshman year of college
- GPA: Minimum 2.75
- 1 Recommendation
DOWNLOAD SENIOR COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION FORM
- Pass background check
Personal Characteristic Requirements
Academia Latina is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of the Academia Latina program will be the outstanding role model that senior counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary, this includes: good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
Duties- Aware of and in compliance with SOUYP policies and procedures
- Attend staff training and have proper understanding of:
- Emergency procedures
- Program logistics (e.g. calendars, schedules, transitions between activities, activity setup and planning)
- Check-in and check-out procedures
- Distributing mail
- Communicating program needs for supplies and materials
- Attend all staff meetings
- Assist at registration and check-out
- Be directly responsible for the 12-14 students assigned to Senior Counselor’s Living Group
- Articulate and enforce program rules and expectations to students
- Make sure lights are out on time
- Reside in on-campus dormitories for the duration of ACADEMIA LATINA and sleep in their assigned rooms each night.
- Act as role model and mentor for Junior Counselors
- Participate in and help with recreational activities and evening programs
- Chaperone evening events
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, etc.
- Anticipate and address potential problems that may arise within Living Groups or with individual students
- Have a strong and positive relationship with your assigned Junior Counselor
- Communicate with Head Residents and administrative staff about material and supply needs and concerns about students
- ANTICIPATE program needs and prepare accordingly to ensure that program runs smoothly and efficiently
- Assist with keeping facilities clean and organized with particular care for the cleanliness of the nursing station, ACADEMY offices and storage spaces
- Communicate with Head Residents and SOUYP administrative staff about any problems pertaining to the dorms
- Distribute and collect student evaluation forms
ScheduleAll counselors must attend must attend a staff training at the SOU Youth Programs Office for orientation and preparation. The staff training, orientation sessions, and work parties are an important and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMIA LATINA Counselors will be notified of the specific time and location of the training at a later date.
Training Schedule: Thursday, July 26 & Friday, July 27, 2018
Program Dates: Sunday, July 29 - Saturday, August 4, 2018
Room and board plus $385 per session.
For more information contact:
Jonathan Chavez Baez
Coordinator for Minority Outreach Programs